Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Missing a Gene

I know I've mentioned this somewhere before, but I feel it needs mentioning again.  I am missing a gene.  I know I am.  It's the gene I call, "The fashion gene."  This missing gene also affects any design ability.  I'm terrible at choosing furniture and colors and clothes.  I'm as happy covered in dog hair and dirt as most people are dressed up with fancy shoes.

Take, for instance, this recent picture of Natalie Portman:


Most people I know who have commented on this dress said it was hideous.  They blasted the rose, they said she made pregnancy look awful, and they even reconsidered seeing her newest movie because of this dress.  My reaction?  What's wrong with it?

Sure, I might choose a different color (I'm not huge fan of pale pink), and they could have done more with the rose, or they could have made it slightly smaller, but I don't hate the dress.  I've definitely seen worse in a dress, and I think it works on her.

Am I wrong in thinking this?  Is my style different or missing?  I'll let you decide on that one.  Until then, I'm going to try to perfect the style I do have.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Fashion and style are all about making what you have work for you. Natalie Portman has an excellent figure, but this dress appears to be concentrated on hiding it under lots of fabric folds - which suggests that she's embarrassed of her pregnancy weight, which is probably why people are saying that she "made pregnancy look awful".

    Mostly I'd just call this dress "strange". The color isn't great on her - though pale pink is kind of in right now so lots of people are trying it - and the rose makes it worse (pink and red don't go together, regardless of what stylists may think).

    I've actually got a decent amount of fashion sense, I just very rarely exercise it on myself. I find that I'm treated much more like an equal in male-dominated fields if I dress more androgynously - i.e. jeans + high necked, loose-fitting shirt. I've spent enough time in theatre, though, to have a conscious understanding of what makes certain clothing styles work on certain people: Natalie looks fantastic in sheath-style dresses with very few frills because her facial features are so delicate. This dress MIGHT have worked if it had no detailing, but the rose just overwhelms her face.

    Someone with a more open face like Scarlett Johansson's might have pulled this off, in perhaps a blue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the explanation! That's a much better way to pin-point the problem than to just say, "It looks awful!" I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I am fashion challenged as well and I see Hobbes point about the rose being too big. I think Hollywood is just too picky. There are some obvious fashion boo boos made frequently by stars but quite honestly who cares. To not go see a movie because of a dress...quite shallow in my opinion. And by the way Paul and I saw "The Tourist" and thought it was great. Not sure why it got panned. Just my 2 cents

    ReplyDelete