Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

If I Had Won The Lottery Last Night...

...I would have:

1) Called my closest friends and family and told them they're all rich.  Really, what's the point in having money if you can't share it?

2) Called my realtor and told her to get ready for a big commission.

3) Donated a lot to animal rescue organizations.

4) Planned an astronomically-priced vacation.

5) Spent a whole lot on stuff I probably don't need.  I mean, come on, it's good to have fun.

6) Started planning and building my dream kennel.

Alas, I did not win the lottery last night.  The $355 million jackpot was split between two people in Idaho and Washington.  And while everything on this list is great, the one item that makes me happiest right now is number six.  It amazes me to think that even if I had more money than I knew what to do with, enough money where I would never have to work again, I would still want to build and run a kennel.  How many people can say that about their jobs?  How many people can say that even if they never HAD to work again they would WANT to continue what they're doing anyway?  I, personally, never thought that would be the case with me.  I hoped I would love doing what I do, but never really thought it would happen.

Sure, running a dog-training business can be frustrating (as can running any business).  There are certain days and certain dogs and certain people that just make me want to throw in the towel (or at least cry for a very long time), but when I think about my overall feeling towards what I do, I'm happy.

Three and a half years ago, when I graduated as a music major from a small school in MN, happiness (in my job at least) was merely a dream.  To know that dream has come true is phenomenal.  It spreads into all aspects of my life.  It makes me be a better person.

So, while I did not win the lottery last night (dang it!), I can live happily knowing I have a roof over my head, a husband who loves me, a wonderful, wonderful family of dogs and cats, and a fulfilling career that generally seems more like a hobby than a job.  Who needs more than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment