Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cody Day

It was two years ago today that Hans and I drove to NC to pick up our baby boy. I was so nervous. Well, nervous and excited. I just kept thinking how happy I was to finally have a dog again, but I was nervous because I had no idea what to expect. How big would he be? Would we develop a good bond? Would he be a chewer or a house-wetter or just a general terror? Lucky for me, he was none of those things (well past the puppy stage anyway). He was just a sweet, 11-weeks-old pup who wanted a lot of love and a comfortable lap to sleep on. He was perfect.

Now, two years later, he's no longer considered a puppy. He's 14 in people years, but acts much wiser. He's my companion and my friend. He's my blanket on cold nights and my cuddle-something when Hans has to work late. He gives me kisses in the morning and hugs to greet me in the evening. He makes a wonderful mascot for the business, but he makes a much better friend.

The thing is, I wish I could explain how much he means to me without sounding like a crazy person. Anyone can explain her love for her child and people will understand, but how do you explain that you love your dog the way most parents love their children? How do I explain that when he's upset I'm upset, or when he's sick I'm sick?How do I explain that, as much as I love, respect, and cherish all dogs, if another dog bites him I want nothing more than to hit it with a 2x4? The joy I feel just by seeing him smile brightens my whole day. It makes getting up in the morning worth it.

I've always been of the belief that anyone who wants a dog should have one, but it's not because I'm a dog trainer or just because I have a fondness for dogs. It's because there's no way to replicate the love you feel when you have a dog who loves you. My dogs have always made me a better person. They help me express my feelings. They make me happy. Yes, they can make me terribly sad too, but isn't that true for all creatures you love.

I guess what I'm saying is I hope you understand. Cody has been such a wonderful addition to my life. I'm so happy to have him. Thank you Hans for loving him with me. Thank you Dad for agreeing to me getting him. Thank you Cody for being such a wonderful friend / son / companion.
How could that NOT make you smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment