Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Two to Three Cups A Day

Things need to change.  Things need to change. Period. 

Before we left for vacation, things were changing.  I was running daily, and Hans was running with me.  We were kind of watching our diet, although that last week was mainly frozen meals and the last of what was left in the fridge. 

Going on vacation, I made it very clear that I wanted to stay active, but that I wasn't going to worry about what I ate.  I was headed to MN for the food, and I was going to enjoy it.  Well, that's all fine and dandy, except now I can't seem to get back into it.

Returning home, I said I'd start running with the dogs again.  I said I'd go grocery shopping and start cooking.  I said I'd start doing what I used to do.  What am I doing?  Sleeping!

On vacation I got used to sleeping.  I was very much lacking in sleep before we left, so sleep was needed, but now that I'm back I want to continue sleeping in and napping during the day.  That's not working out so well for me.  I'm not getting the exercise I need, and neither are the dogs.

I think a big part of the problem, though, is also my diet.  I know I'm not fueling my body the way it should be fueled.  I need to find the right balance of protein, dairy, fruits, veggies, fruit, and fat.  I also need to find things that I like, that are extremely satisfying, and that are fairly easy to make.  I need to find foods that pack easily, and that don't necessarily need to be refrigerated or heated.

I have considered rigging my car up with things you would find in a truck stop like a mini fridge, a portable griddle, or a portable crock pot.  As great as that sounds, I doubt I'd be able to stop the car long enough to prepare a meal.  I've also considered living like I'm camping and eating dried foods.  I'm a fan of jerky, and snacking is always fun for me, but I'm also concerned that could get really old really fast. 

I should start carrying a cooler with me at least.  Right now, even if all I have are sandwiches, after sitting in my car all day that can be kind of rank.  Of course, I won't need a cooler in a few months when the weather cools off again.  C'est la vie!

So, I have two questions for you.  1) How on earth do you get up in the morning?  What's your motivation?  2) What's your favorite meal?  It can be hot, cold, easy, hard.  Just tell me what it is.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Val! I ran into this same problem getting back from France earlier this year :P

    1) I set my alarm clock for half an hour earlier than I think is necessary to get up and don't let myself hit the snooze - you tell yourself "well, just GET UP." And then I immediately go to the gym for an hour. How? I just leave my gym stuff out so that it's the first thing I see when I get out of bed. Put it on. Don't even think about working out or running, just put on the clothes. Once they're ON, it's so much easier to actually go, because it helps you get in the mindset.

    2) After the gym, I put a cup of water, a half cup of rolled oats, a tablespoon of flaxseed meal and some cinnamon in a bowl and microwave it for 1:30, stir, and another 1:30. Add a splash of milk and a handful of frozen blueberries and a half scoop of vanilla protein powder. This is called "breakfast of absolutely awesome."

    ReplyDelete