Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

High Heels

Can someone answer a question for me?  How do women wear high heels?

I just don't understand it.  I love the look of high heels, and I have a few pairs that I really love, but I can never wear them.  They're just not comfortable.  Yes, they make my rear look good.  Yes, they show off my legs and strengthen my calves, but at the same time they make my feet hurt.  They make my back ache.  They make me want to sit down, take my shoes off, and chuck them across the room.

Am I walking wrong?  Am I simply buying the wrong shoes?  What am I doing wrong?  I used to think it was simply because I was overweight, but I've lost weight and it's just as painful.  Surely there would be some improvement if it was due to weight.  I have noticed I can handle high-heeled boots (well, at least better than regular high heels).  Otherwise, though, I tend to hate high heels.

So, let me ask you this.  Are the majority of women in excruciating pain, or at the very least very uncomfortable, but suffering through it on a daily basis just so they look good?  If so, I don't get it.  If not, then could one of those women teach me how to walk in high heels?  It would very much open up my shoe options.

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. You have to pay a lot more attention to your posture when you're wearing heels. Holding your feet in that position usually causes people to want to stick their butts out and go kind of swaybacked, which is why your back is aching - pull your hips under you and use your abs to keep yourself walking tall.

    Wearing heels isn't easy, but it's easier when you're in better shape and can even help you get INTO better shape (if you actually pay that sort of continuous attention to your body). I'd be willing to bet a lot of women just ignore the pain.

    That said, my mother can't wear high heels because of a lingering foot injury, so be sure to start with shorter heels and work your way up so as not to jump into that sort of injury. Five inch stilettos are cute but unnecessary :P

    ReplyDelete