Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

The WEE Shop

As I announced in my previous post, I recently took a part time job just to give us a little extra cash.  I work in a small store in Short Pump that shall be known as WEE Shop (West End Expensive Shop) from here on out.  Honestly, for anyone who's ever met me, you know I'm probably the least-suited person for this job.  I've never been big on fashion or designer names.  And while my family feels I have high-end taste, the truth is that I just have mid-end taste.  I don't like Goodwill (well, at least not for clothes), but anything more than Ann Taylor Loft just seems frivolous and typically I spend my time at Target.  Heck, for the majority of the items for the house, I'll be shopping at Target, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Craigslist.  Plus, while I enjoy fine jewelry, I rarely wear jewelry, so it's very rare that I'd consider buying any a good investment.  Also, if I am going to buy jewelry, it's most likely going to be something with an opal (my birthstone) in it.  So, I really can't understand when a person spends nearly $300 on a hand bag or $200 on sandals.  My brain screams "DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

That being said, as much as I don't understand, I do enjoy my new job.  Surprisingly, I enjoy it quite a bit.  I find that I'm learning quite a lot about quite a lot.  I'm happy because I'm staying busy and filling in any empty spaces of time.  Plus, some of the items I really like.  There are some cute collars and leashes, and some beautiful paintings of Richmond and VA.  The jewelry is truly unique, and as someone who's sick of Kay Jewelers commercials, this makes me happy. 

I am a bit worried about what will happen when I'm no longer having to research every single item, and if there's a slow day.  Will I get bored?  Will I be able to find things to do.  Really, though, I don't think it will be a problem.  Yesterday, I went in with one project in mind: name the stones in the jewelry...no easy feat, let me assure you.  By the time I left, due to various interruptions, not only had I not completed my own project, I'd been given about 4 other projects that hadn't even been started.  I'd feel bad about this if it weren't for the fact that the owner spent the majority of the time on the floor helping out, and we still couldn't keep up.  Plus, apparently the evening shift is slower, so the evening person appreciated having things to do.  At least, I hope she appreciated it.

Anyway, for now, I'm happy where I am.  I'd be happier if my spare time were being spent in my own kennel on my own business, but that will come with time.  Until that time, I have things to do.  YAY!

Well, while I know you're all probably tired of hearing about the house, that is of course the main thing on my mind, so I want to give you all an update.  Unpacking is slow-going, but it is happening.  We haven't had as much time as we'd like since I'm working and we've also been preparing for Easter.  Like I said, though, it's happening and it will be done (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Also, I cannot believe how the house has affected both Cody and Merlin.  Merlin, of course, was thrilled to have a yard, and that hasn't changed.  Having a yard has definitely made it easier for us to unpack without having to worry about Merlin.  It's nice.  What's even nicer, though, is seeing how it's affected Cody.  At the apartment, Cody was tense and uneasy.  Hans and I were noticing that he was becoming more and more aggressive.  In the car, he's lunge and growl at passersby.  He was even getting bad at the theatre and would only greet people he new.  My huge, cuddly, baby boy was starting to scare children!  I was trying to exercise him more, and keep him under better obedience, but exercise was difficult with the cold, and my boy is stubborn.  Plus, even if he's in a sit-stay his growl is still scary...and annoying.  Anyway, I don't know if it's the house, the yard, or simply being able to see everyone who passes by, but he's getting better.  Hans and I took him for a car ride yesterday and he ignored all the passersby...even the guy in an electric wheel chair.  We live down the street from a school, and every day multiple kids and teenagers walk past our house.  Cody watches them, but he also ignores them.  He's still not great if people he doesn't know approach the house, but he is improving and will listen faster.  It's obvious that being able to play with Merlin in the yard has thrilled him...Merlin never played at the apartment.  It's obvious that being able to go outside and bask in the sun has relaxed him.  Plainly put, we really love the house.

1 comment: