Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Starting Over

I want to be a runner.  I've always wanted to be a runner.  I remember in elementary school how we would have to take the Presidential Fitness Test.  Part of that test was running a mile.  I could never do it (I also could never do a pull up...something else on my goal list).  I remember in high school how I ran a full mile for the very first time.  Ironically, I was sick with a mild case of bronchitis, and I think that actually helped me to pace myself.

Anyway, I have some pretty lofty goals as far as running goes.  For the past few years, I've wanted to run a marathon.  What's the problem?  I've never even run a 5k!  Yes, I can run a mile now, but in actuality it's more like a slow jog and it leaves me feeling beat up.  The farthest I've ever run was 2 miles on a treadmill.  Last year, I started the Couch to 5k Program with my SIL, LutherLiz.  She had posted it on her blog, and a lot of people decided to do it with her.  I actually got through the program, but I was at a such a slow pace that I never actually made it the full 5k.  This does not work for me.

So, this year I'm starting over.  I've been jogging every morning, and I've been loving it, but I haven't made the progress I'd like to.  So, I'm doing the C25k again.  I've determined a much better speed for me, something a little faster, that will have me completing a full 5k in a decent time.  Then, it's on to bigger and better things.  In case you're wondering, right now I'm still using the treadmill.  I know this makes workouts easier, but frankly I hate running in the cold.  I'm very much looking forward to warmer weather and running with the dogs.

So, who'd like to do this with me?  I could definitely use the support and the accountability.  If you're in, let me know.  Either way, I'll be regaling you with updates every once in a while.  Thanks for being there for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment