Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Battle of the Bulge

C25k Update
Well, I thought I'd give you all a quick update on my Couch to 5k workouts.  I have one word.  UGH!  Actually, things aren't going too poorly, and I've been getting everything in, but it seems to be a lot harder than the last time I did it.  I guess that's because I've been going at a faster pace.

Also, a friend of mine suggested I should set the incline slightly higher to simulate running outside, so I have.  Well, yesterday I forgot to raise the incline, and everything seemed so easy.  Of course it did!!!  At least this means my transition to outside running will be easier.

Battle of the Bulge
I've been thinking a lot lately about my weight.  I've always seen myself as being a bit plump (not obese, just plump).  I've wanted that Cameron Diaz body (from My Best Friend's Wedding, not Charlie's Angels) for as long as I can remember.  You know, the one that looked stunning in a bikini!  I would diet and workout like crazy, drop a few pounds, and then stop.  A plateau would kill my motivation.

Things recently, though, have changed.  Yes I want to eat healthier, but I don't want to deny myself foods.  Yes, I want to exercise, but I don't want the only reason to be because I'm trying to lose weight.  I want to be healthy overall, and that's going to take more than a slammin' bod.

The other day, I said something I never thought I'd say.  I told Hans that I'd be perfectly happy with my current weight and size if I was physically fit.  If I could run a marathon or climb a mountain without getting winded (something I used to do on a regular basis) I'd be happy.  That, however, is not how I currently am.  So, my current goal is simply to train my body.  I don't want to beat my body into submission.  I want to show my body what it can do.

My body can walk dogs, lift crates, carry Cody, run up and down stairs, and sleep well at night.  Imagine what it could do if I really put it to the test!  If I can love my body instead of resenting it, if I can love myself, then I think I'll be happier in the long run.
Oh, one last thing.  As I think back over the blogs I've written in the past, I realize this is something I've touched on before, but it always seems to escape.  I can't promise that I'll always have this mindset, but I certainly will try.  I like this mindset so much better than the one that tells me I'm not good enough!  Here's to hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment