Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One Thing At a Time

So, I've been reading my SIL's blog recently (like I do), and she's been having some trouble with the C25k program.  The problem hasn't so much been the actual work-out itself, but rather the motivation to do the workout.  Yesterday, she posted a beautiful blog about how she really evaluated her life and her priorities and decided this was definitely something she wanted, and that she'd just have to reprioritize her life a bit.  To check out this great post go here.  Anyway, I started to post a comment to her blog, but decided that this subject was worth a whole new post. 

First of all, I can't help but wonder if this lack of motivation isn't a seasonal thing.  Almost every ladies' magazine you find this month has something about getting organized, staying focused, or living better.  Of course, that may just be because spring is the quintessential time to clean.  Secondly, I found it ironic that Liz posted this post when she did, because Hans and I had been chatting about this same issue just the night before.  And by "issue" I don't mean the C25k, but rather the priorities and staying focused.

The thing is, I think staying focused is really easy for some people.  There's a job, they get it done, bam!  On to the next job.  Somehow, though, I think I missed that gene.  On projects and paperwork I'm great at multitasking, but on things like housework and fitness I just can't seem to get it together.  I'll see the multiple things that have to get done, and I'll have great motivation to get started, but I just can't seem to decide where to start.

There's the laundry and the kitchen and the vacuuming and the rec room and the vacuuming and the office work and the vacuuming.  Did I mention vacuuming?  Plus, there are the work outs and the diets and the grocery shopping.  What's more important?  Well, they're all important and when I can't decide what to do first I often end up doing nothing.

So, the other night Hans and I sat down and made a list of all the things that need to be taken care of inside the house.  We ONLY focused on the inside of the house.  Outside will come next.  We wrote everything down, and then we made a sechedule for when all that would happen.  Already, we have a clean kitchen, and a room that's almost done being painted.  I feel like we're really getting things in order.

Plus, I decided I needed to do the same for my workouts.  Basically, I'm saying screw it to the diet.  Don't get me wrong, I'm being mindful of what I eat.  I'm just not freaking out over it.  I really need to just focus on my workouts right now (which are going fairly well).  And instead of sleeping in on my days off from working out, I'm working with the dogs.  It's working out quite well so far (all two days of it).

Anyway, my point is that it doesn't do me or anyone else any good if I stress out and become overwhelmed.  Just one day at a time, one step at a time.  I'll do my best to forget everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment