Pages

Friday, June 12, 2009

Relaxed.

Ah, what a good day. Most of today just seemed to be about relaxation. I mean, there was one part in particular, but today was just an all around good day.

I started today off with lesson. The lesson sent me a little ways into the countryside, and the drive was just so peaceful. Plus, the lesson went really well too. That whole experience was just down right fantastic.

When I was done, I met Jess for lunch, and then came the real treat. Jess is studying to be a massage therapist, and today I had the pleasure of being her first client. If I hadn't already known I was her first, I never would have guessed it. She was so good I fell asleep. I hope she enjoys massaging as much as I enjoyed getting the massage. Probably not, huh.

In a rush to end the day, I had Starbucks with Mom, had my last lesson for the day (it went better than I expected), and then Hans and I had dinner with Mom. Everything went really well.

But, back to Jess enjoying massaging. I can't say how much Jess really enjoys the job. I'm sure she loves it, I just don't know to what degree. I also think she enjoys it much more than I would, so that's really good. I can say that I think she's freakin awesome at it, and I'm sure she'll do well with whatever she chooses to use it for. I know I've mentioned it before, but having a job you enjoy is so important. I can't believe how many dead-end, odd jobs I held before I got into dog training. In reality, it really wasn't that many (I'm not that old), but it's more than I'd have liked to have held. Some people can stay in some boring old job for years, and they just figure that's the way life is. I'm not that person.

One of the reason I held off on going to dog training school for so long was because I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it. As I mentioned in my very first post, I'd been a music major in college. I'd loved music going into school. I couldn't stand it coming out. I do have my degree in music, but the only thing I use it for is to sing to the radio (and critique other singers). I have some knowledge as to how the voice works, but past that I'm kind of lost. So, I kept wondering, what if that happened with dogs too?

I grew up loving dogs. I've always loved dogs. In reality, I probably understand them better than people. That's what happens when you're an only child with 5 dogs. They're my brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts. Cody is my son. I've cleaned up his messes and I stay up with him when he's sick. So, I kept wondering if there was anything that could happen that would make my passion for dogs dwindle the same as my passion for music had.

I found my answer. The answer is apparently no. Learning more about them, studying them, spending time with them. All this makes me love the all the more. I'm so happy with my career choice. I'm thrilled that I was able to start my own business (and set my own hours). I love every single dog I work with. My fear is that one of my clients will, for some reason, have to rehome his/her dog. I don't know what I'd do. I'm pretty sure I'd end up with another child in that situation. And that's why I do what I do. Sure, I love the dogs and I can't imagine doing anything else. But my real job is to keep owner and dog together in a happy, loving relationship. If this job were about the money, I wouldn't do it. It's about the love and care that these creatures I love so much receive. I need to be there to make sure they receive it.

Those of you who have heard the translation of my full name will get this. Those who haven't can just be amused. I am Strong Bone. Defender of Dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment