Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Good News

Well, I have some good news. 

This morning I went to the gym.  This morning was my third attempt at running on the treadmill.  It was my third test to see if I might be able to start running again.

My first test was 3-4 weeks ago.  The actual run was a little iffy, but I was able to go a mile.  I was heartened by this until I returned to the kennel.  By the time I'd returned my foot hurt to the point of needing to ice it.  This, obviously, was not good, so I took some more time off.

On Monday, my foot felt significantly better, so I decided to try again.  I stopped after running for only 5 minutes (plus walking 5 minutes before that) because my foot hurt.  Admittedly, I was having trouble telling if it was the same pain as before or if it was that my shoes were tied to tight and I was cramping.  Either way, I wasn't willing to take the risk, so I got off the treadmill.

This morning, I tried one more time.

After 5 minutes of walking briskly, everything felt great.  My legs, my chest, my feet.  So, I took things up to a slow run.  Two minutes in, I still felt good.  My legs and my feet felt weak, like I hadn't been running in 3 months, but nothing too bad.  Four minutes in, I slowed my pace a hair.  My endurance had greatly diminished, and I didn't want to have to stop so I could breathe, but everything else felt good.  Seven minutes in, I realized I was seven minutes in and still didn't feel any pain.  Things felt good.  Ten minutes in, I slowed the treadmill down to start my cool down.

I had just run for 10 minutes and things felt good.

I was pleased, but my hopes weren't too raised.  It was highly possible that my foot would start to hurt back at the kennel.  It was possible that I'd be on my feet all day, and that all day I'd have to treat my foot gingerly because I'd overworked it.  It was highly possible that I'd have to ice again.  It was possible, but it's not what happened.

I ran for 10 minutes, my foot didn't hurt, and it didn't start to hurt later!!!!

Sure, my feet are tired now, but that's because I've been standing on them all day.  And notice I said "feet" not "foot."  So...Yay!!  Let me say that again.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I still have some recovery.  I know I need to take things slow.  I know I need to stay on the treadmill for a short while longer even though every fiber of my being wants to wake up early tomorrow and go for a "short" 3 mile run (and chuck the treadmill out the window).  However, I also know that this is the beginning of my restart.  I can get back on track.  This is fabulous, and I can't wait to start again!

No comments:

Post a Comment