Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Back in the Saddle

This morning I woke up at 4:30.  This, in and of itself, is not unusual.  Because of the kennel, I'm often up at 4:00, but usually it is not my morning off, and usually it is followed by me working with the dogs.  This morning, though, was for a different reason.  This morning I went running.

My treadmill run on Monday felt wonderful.  In fact, it felt so good that I knew it was time to amp it up a bit.  So, I went on to Facebook and sent a message to my old running buddies.  "Care for a 3 mile run early Wednesday morning?"  We chose a time and a place, and I got excited.

It was hard waking up so early.  Things at the kennel have been super busy and a little stressful, so I really wanted the sleep.  When one of my running buddies messaged to say she wouldn't be able to make it after all, I was grateful that I was already wide awake or else I may have bailed too.

Anyway, I met up with the other running buddy (who, incidentally, was also coming back from some time off), and off we went.  I was so nervous!  Would my foot be OK?  How would my endurance be?  Would I be able to go near my old pace?  I just had to remember to keep checking in with myself to make sure everything was alright.

I am happy to report that all went well.  I know I was pushing things with my foot, and I will most likely rest a few days before running again.  However, I also know I didn't over do it.  My foot is still pain free.  I was able to run the entire 3 miles and didn't have to stop to walk, so the endurance thing is there.  As for the pace?  Well, that could use some improvement, but I trust it will come back fairly quickly.  The only other thing I really noticed was how weak my legs have become.  I really need to work on strengthening my quads and glutes and core so as to avoid future injuries.

So, I am happy.  More importantly, though, I feel very peaceful, very Zen.  The stress from the week seemed to melt off with each mile.  Those three miles did so much for me, and they were greatly needed.

Now, though, it's time for breakfast...a celebratory breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Valerie,

    I have really enjoyed reading through your blog. Your top picture has to be the best picture I'v seen in a longer while:) You have a great little business and a great blog to advertise it. Your passion for animals certainly shows in your writing.

    I am looking for passionate writers to join our community of bloggers and I was wondering whether you would consider sharing your posts on Glipho and become a member?

    It might be a good idea to give your business and your blog more exposure while having fun and meeting fellow writers.

    Please check us out at http://glipho.com and drop me a line at hubert@glipho.com for any questions.

    Best!
    Hubert

    ReplyDelete