Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

I'm Running a Marathon!

After running the 10k, I was on a pretty big high.  I was so proud of myself, and I had this feeling that I could do anything I wanted.  I mean, a month ago, I could barely run a 5k in 35 minutes.  With hard work and dedication, I ended up running a 10k in 64 minutes.  That's pretty awesome.  I had decided that this year, I would at least run a half marathon, but I was really wondering how it might be to run a full marathon.  Saturday evening I sat at the computer and looked at information on the different training teams.  I came across one very key quote:

“I went from the 10k to the marathon in five months. Along the way, I made new friends, discovered Richmond and found myself.”- Jason Smith

Now then, I don't know Jason Smith.  He may have had a much longer running career than I have, or he may be in better shape.  All I know is that he went from the distance that I just ran to a full marathon.  Jason Smith convinced me to sign up!

I am officially signed up for the Richmond Marathon training team.  Note: This is NOT the half marathon training team.  I'm planning on running the full 26.2 miles.  Ok, I may walk in there a little, and I don't think there's any shame in that.

In running the marathon, I've also stolen and idea from a friend of mine.  A couple of years ago, a friend of mine decided to run the marathon and raise money for Richmond Animal Care and Controll (RACC).  She wanted to raise $100 for each mile ran, for a grand total of $2,620.  I'm doing the same thing, but my funds will be going to Henrico Humane Society.

Basically, I love working with dogs (and sometimes cats).  Henrico Humane functions mainly on fosters, and they're short-handed.  This amount would only cover a percentage of one of their monthly bills, but every little bit helps.

So, I'm asking for your help.  Will you help cheer me on?  Will help encourage me when I'm feeling down?  Will you help me by donating to my cause?  

I've provided a donation button on the side of this page, but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Training starts June 2nd, and until then I'll be running quite a bit so I don't lose my current stamina.

Here goes nothin'!

1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful! Good luck with training. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete