Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Decisions

I have to share something with y'all.  It's something that I've been thinking about a lot recently, and now that I've finally made my decision, I wanted to let you know about it.

Not to long ago, I was offered a job.  My vet knew some people who were looking for help, and the position sounded interesting, so I called.  I don't want to get into too many details, because I don't want to expose the company, but it sounded amazing.  I would still be training dogs, I'd get to travel internationally, and Hans' and my income would almost triple from my salary.  That's HUGE.  The problem?  Well, I'd have to give up Impawsible Pups, and the travel would be quite frequent.

I did pursue the position.  That amount of money is really hard to turn away, and my thought was that I could save a lot of money and use it towards Impawsible Pups.  Something didn't feel right, though.  I was excited about this position, but I was also filled with dread.  As I started thinking about the travel, I thought about what I loved about my life.

I love coming home and seeing Cody greet me.  I love hearing Lollie bark from excitement over seeing me.  I love curling up in bed with Hans' arms around me, Cody and Lollie at my feet and side, and at least one cat near my head.  I love hugging Cody or getting a hug from Hans when I'm feeling down.  I even love having all the fosters around because their playing makes me smile.  I may be really stressed sometimes.  I may keep odd working hours, and money may be unbelievably tight, but I do love my life and the way it's set up.

I also thought about my fears of this job.  I'd be gone a minimum of 3-4 days a week.  How would that affect my relationship with Hans?  I feel pretty secure with our relationship, but that can be a lot of stress on a couple.  How would that much travel affect my new running regimen?  Would I be able to keep it up after flying across an ocean?  Considering how much flying drains me I highly doubted that.  How would it affect the dogs?  When I leave now, Cody sits by the door and waits for my return.  Would he wait by the door for days at a time?  (He does do this when Hans and I have to travel without him.)  Lollie is bonded more to me than to Hans.  Would she be able to cope?

In the end, I had to turn it down.  It was an amazing offer, and one that I put a lot of thought into.  It's one I almost took (did I mention it paid A LOT?).  I just couldn't do it, though.  I just couldn't give up everything I love about my life so much.  Money may be important, but it's not that important.  It's not more important than my husband.  It's not more important than Cody or Lollie.  It's not more important than me.

The good thing, though, is that all this did light a fire under my rear.  Impawsible Pups is going to expand.  I want to open a kennel, and I want to open it this year.  I have a business plan drawn up, and I've met with a few banks.  This is going to be a big year.  I'm going to run a marathon.  I'm going to open a kennel.  I'm going to achieve my goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment