Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Thursday

I was hoping to get this post out sooner, but time flies. 

As many of you may already know, last Thursday was Hans' and my anniversary.  We didn't really have much planned (just dinner and a movie), but we were excited to spend some time together.  On Wednesday, though. Hans discovered that I was taking the entire day off (I'd wanted to clean up and make him a special dinner), and he decided to take the day off too.  So, what were we to do?  A trip to the mountains was in order!! 

The morning wasn't anything special.  I still had some stuff around the house to do, so we didn't leave town until about 1:00 pm.  Off we went!  We stopped once at this AMAZING coffee shop that's almost halfway between here and our destination.  It's become a bit of a tradition to stop there, and I always forget how much I love it.  Now I'm trying to plan trips just to that coffee shop.

Anyway, so we got to the mountains around 3:30 or 4:00.  Hans and I love this one hiking trail.  It's a fairly easy hike and it's usually not too crowded.  It's perfect for an anniversary. 

I can't even begin to tell you how much fun we had.  Of course, we took Cody, and watching him have fun was an added bonus.  Honestly, I think the mountain trip was just what I needed.  I had almost forgotten how much I love the noise in the mountains.  A lot of people comment on how quiet the country is, but really it's anything but.  The sounds are just different.  I didn't hear cars or sirens or air conditioning units or people.  Instead, I heard birds and crickets and squirrels and rushing water from the river.  I relished the sounds.  I drank everything in, and I loved it.  Before the day was up, I felt relaxed and peaceful...untroubled.  I was tired from the hike, but I was so very happy.

The ride home was lit by a beautiful full moon, which added to the joy of the day.  I have to say, it was the perfect anniversary. 

I always love it when Cody swims.  Cody loves fetching anything from water.

Just starting the hike.  Cody is still on leash.

Looking out over a waterfall.

Hans and Cody in the same place.

View from waterfall.

Camouflage Cody

Look at those smiles!!

This is at the base of the waterfall.  We were all the way at the top.

One very sleepy boy.

The perfect ending to the perfect day.

2 comments: