Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cody

I am currently sitting at my desk, and Cody is sleeping behind me.  In less than 10 minutes, the clock will strike midnight, and Cody will officially be another year older.  Cody is turning four.

This has not been an easy year for Cody.  With fosters coming in and out his space has been invaded.  My business has grown, but fun time for Cody has not.  Each new client, for Cody, is just another dog he can play with only briefly.  Still, this sweet boy has handled things like a champ.

Cody has been wonderful.  He's older now, and often that has given him authority over the younger dogs.  He helps me with the fosters by teaching them proper ways to behave.  He jogs with me in the mornings.  He lets me cry into his fur when I am upset.  He gives me kisses every morning and snuggles every night.

He has forgotten a few commands, such as turn around, but he has learned new, better commands, such as "Find Daddy!  Find Mommy!"  He still impresses the people at the dog park with his Frisbee catching abilities, but he prefers to catch his Frisbee in the river.

Over the past year, Cody had his first (and hopefully not last) experience with dock diving.  He took a trip to Minnesota, and he discovered a new dog park (new to him) in D.C.

Cody has welcomed countless visitors and guests, and he's scared off less-savory characters.

Trying to put into words what this little ball of fluff means to me is impossible.  Knowing he is next to me brings me such joy.

I honestly do not know where my life would be now if I had not gotten Cody.  He makes me happy on a daily basis, and I don't know how I would have gotten along without that extra joy.

Yes, he's also brought stress.  I worry about him constantly.  Is he happy?  Is he healthy?  Is he eating enough?  Does he like his food?  Even the stress, however, is somewhat joyful because it means Cody is here with me.

Cody has slowed down a little over the past year.  He finally reached adulthood, and he no longer has all the puppy energy he once had.  Still, though, he's eager to go for a run or hike or bike ride or even simply a walk.  He is happy to just be with me and Hans...his people.

Happy Birthday, Cody!  I cannot wait to see what the next year brings.

Cody is a wonderful assistant.

And an even better snuggler.

He's kind to small animals.

And he fits right under my desk.

And he looks really cool in goggles!

4 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean, Val! :D
    Cody is a wonderful dog and it's so very obvious how much he adores you and Hans. We're so lucky to have our little furry family members - they bring us so much joy and unconditional love. I can't even imagine the past four years without Jack - he's five now and just losing the puppy-ness a bit. But he's definitely as vocal as ever and keeps reminding me that he's the man of the house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. really so awesome.looking so cuty.

    ReplyDelete