Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stuff

I am SICK of STUFF!  There is just too much of it.  After my blog post yesterday, I just kept thinking about |what could possibly make things better.  As I sat there and watched the dogs play, something struck me.  I have too much stuff.  How did I come to this realization?  Well, I can thank Phoebe (a new foster).  She's young and hasn't learned, well, anything.  Every few seconds were spent calling Phoebe, picking up before Phoebe got something, taking something out of Phoebe's mouth, and each thing I rescued (with the exception of a few bills) I would look at and think, "Wow.  When was the last time I used this?"  For some things I even wondered why I'd bought the item originally.  I looked at corners that are difficult to clean, and I suddenly envisioned things differently. 

I envisioned living in more of a minimal way.  I envisioned getting rid of everything I didn't use on a regular basis.  I thought about how my apartment had been when I was in college, and it dawned on me that I've accumulated a lot of crap since then...a lot of things I don't need.  Then I thought that maybe, just maybe, if I get rid of all this junk, these dust collectors, I might just find that life is a lot easier.

I've done this before, purged my life of things I don't need, and I always feel a lot better afterward.  This time, though, I'd like to take it further.  There's furniture I'd like to get rid of, and clothes I'd like to toss.  There are video gaming systems we never use and kitchen appliances I don't need.  I want to get rid of all of it.

Who knows?  Maybe this little purging of possessions will be helpful, maybe not.  All I know, though, is that I don't need this stuff, so why should I keep it?  Is there anything wrong with a minimalist lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment