Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Past Week

Yes, life is crazy.  That's just the way it is.  Luckily, though, I was finally given a break.  Somehow, by some miracle, all of the foster dogs were either adopted or moved.  Tango found an AMAZING home filled with love, and we were worried that he'd never find a home.  Charlie, an adorable beagle, found a home in the same weekend.  Sprinkles is spending the next 6 weeks in another training facility that has more opportunities for her (re: more dogs and a pool).  Willa, who came in the same Friday that Sprinkles left was adopted on Monday by a really sweet couple.  So, all we've had for the past week have been Cody and Merlin.  Yay for a break!!!

So, how have we been enjoying the past week?  SLEEEEEEEPPP!  There has been lots of sleep.  With all the dogs, I was waking up at 5:30 am for feeding and exercise, and I often didn't get to bed before 11:00 pm.  I felt good, but I was starting to love coffee.  I didn't realize how tired I'd been until I got to sleep again.  Oh, I've been sleeping so much.  Yesterday, I didn't wake up until 9:40 am.  Granted, I didn't get to bed until 12:00, but that's still almost 10 hours of sleep.  My God, it's been beautiful. 

We've also been giving Cody some much needed activity time.  For example, in the past week he went to the dog park 3 times, played with a friend, went on a walk, and went to Williamsburg.  That little boy is TIRED, but he's also very relaxed.  The whole family is happy.

With the break and the rejuvenation, I now feel ready to bring more dogs in.  Hans and I will start fostering two more dogs on Saturday.  They biggest difference is that they're not necessarily the problem dogs like we've had in the past.  They're just dogs that need a loving environment, and that's much easier to handle.

The Fun Event
On Friday, Hans and I did something really fun with Cody.  Richmond was holding the Dominion River Rock Festival.  It's basically a fund raising event to help care for and clean up the James River.  Going to that was fun enough, but it gets even better.  Part of the event was Air Dogs Dock Diving.  What is dock diving?  Basically, dogs leap off a dock and the dog who jumps the furthers (measured from the base of the tail) wins.  Cody had never done this, but he loves jumping into water, so we thought we'd give it a shot.  The first jump didn't happen.  He stopped at the edge of the dock and whimpered for his toy.  The second jump, though, the second jump was perfect.  He didn't jump far, and we weren't expecting him to.  He did jump, though, and we were proud.  Cody bug was well behaved and happy, and that makes for a happy mom!

Like I said, we're ready for more dogs now.  I'll still enjoy every moment I can get with Cody, but I can handle the next wave of work now that I've had a break! 

No comments:

Post a Comment