Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Death of A Man

Yesterday Osama Bin Laden was killed.  I'll admit that my first reaction was big ole whoop for joy.  I'll admit that I said, "YAAAAY!"  I'll admit I wanted to congratulate the people who completed the action.  I'll admit I was proud for Barrack Obama, and I wished I could have celebrated in front of the White House with the others who were there.

Then I was brought back to reality.  Friends and family posted Facebook comments over how they lament such joyful celebrations over the death of a man...any man.  Many posted that they worry about the backlash from such actions.  I started to think about it all.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of the backlash this action will cause.  Admittedly, when we announced 10 years ago that we would attack strong and hard, I worried.  I worried about one quote, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."  Attacking back would only cause more hatred and more terrorist attacks.

So, why was I so thrilled last night?  To be honest, and I think this is true of many of the people who are rejoicing, I was relieved.  I am relieved that such a force of evil is gone from the planet.  I am relieved that a ten year mission is now completed (not that the war is over, but that we have completed this bit).  I am relieved that this man who murdered thousands of innocent people, not just Christians or Americans but Muslims and Arabs alike, can no longer kill any more people.  I am not rejoicing over the death of a man, but rather over the victory of humanity in general.  It is a huge victory.

I do not mourn Bin Laden's death, but I do worry about what his death means for us as a nation.  Will others attack us because of his death?  Will we attack ourselves trying to decide who deserves credit for such an action?  Will we attack ourselves over the issue of whether we should rejoice or not?  I don't know, but I hope for the best.

I will not / cannot mourn the death of such a man.  I will be joyful over the erasing of such evil.  I will rejoice over the victory and the morale boost this gives our nation.  I will hope for a brighter future, and I will let others feel how they wish to feel.

I will pray for peace.

2 comments: