Sunday, June 6, 2010

Couch to 5k Week 5

This week was particularly hard.  The running time increased exponentially (up to 20 minutes), and combine that with every day life I was afraid I would never be able to do it.

First, life seemed to catch up with me this week.  Last week I described the hectic life I've been living.  Well, it finally caught up with me.  Apparently when I'm suprememly stressed and tired everything in my body tightens up and I have trouble getting a good breath.  I guess the best way to describe would be that I'm constantly hyper-ventilating.  The last time it happened was in college.  Actually, it happened a lot in college.  Anyway, it happened again.  It's not comfortable, and I hate it.  That said, it almost ended up being a good thing.  Not being able to breathe will definitely force you take steps to relax and sleep a little.  I finally did some yoga.  I only did 10 minute segments, but I noticed after that first 10 minutes that I was feeling a bit better.  Bring on the relaxing yoga!!!

Even with yoga helping me to relax, I wasn't doing so well on the program.  I was still finishing it, but the second day was pretty much hell.  I only had to jog for 8 minutes, but I thought I would pass out before the end.  I got the dreaded stomach stitch after 2 minutes, and I couldn't catch my breath at all.  Well, I couldn't catch my breath before I started running.  Why should I be able to after I run?

When I went for the third run, the 20 minute run, I was really scared.  I was breathing better by then.  Even though Cody was so sick 2 days earlier, yoga and knowing he was feeling better was helping me relax.  Plus, I got some extra sleep because I was spending time just relaxing with Cody and making sure he got plenty of love.  Anyway, I was still scared.  I really wanted to do it, but day 2 had been so hard.  Would I be able to handle it?

I was shocked when I looked at the clock on the treadmill and it had already been 10 minutes.  I was just starting to feel tired / breathe hard, but continuing seemed fairly easy.  Then it was 15 minutes.  Ok, I was really tired by this part, but I'd made it this far.  I wasn't quitting.  Eighteen minutes and I felt like dying.  I could feel the stomach stitch coming on.  Keep going.  Keep going!  Ouch!  KEEP GOING!

Finally, I saw 20 minutes.  Sweat was dripping, breathing was hard, but I did it.  That's the longest I've ever run, and it felt good to know I'd accomplished it.  I'm extremely grateful that week 6 back tracks a little.  I'm not entirely certain I could do that 20 minutes again without warming up to it.  Anyway, at least I did it once.  On to week 6!  Oh, and let's hope for a little more sleep and a little less stress. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so proud that you powered through it!