Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Cody Update

For all you readers who are anxiously awaiting to hear how Cody's feeling, here's an update!

I was worried when I left him yesterday because he hadn't eaten anything.  He was still fairly lethargic and Hans wasn't coming home for 6 more hours.  Six hours of leaving my sick puppy alone!  That is cruel and unusual punishment for me.  Needless to say I was a basket case...full of anxiety (I very much resembled other dogs I've worked with).

Hans called at 5 to say he was on his way home.  I finally got in touch with him by 6:00.  Cody had greeted him at the door and was following him around, but would pretty much conk out as soon as Hans sat down.  This was actually an improvement.  That morning (and the night before) he was just too exhausted to move.  He'd pretty much choose a spot (typically by an air vent) and stay there looking miserable.  The fact that he was moving, albeit slowly, was good news.  Still, though, I was a basket case.  I wanted to be with him!

Seven o'clock.  Hans calls.  Cody ate his dinner.  YAY!!!  It was a small meal of beef and rice, but Cody ate it.  He didn't eat it fast and he almost didn't finish, but he ate it.  Again, a huge improvement over the morning (and the day before).  Bonus, it has now been 24 hours since he last vomited.  Fears of blockage or bloat have subsided.

Nine-thirty.  I'm finally home!  Cody obviously felt better by this point.  The best way to describe it would be to say his eyes looked different.  He seemed more alert, and I received a great greeting at the door.  He was still obviously tired, but the day of rest really seemed to help.  And boy was he happy to see me.  I got lots of kisses and hugs.  That was the best part.

Today, Cody is still a bit tired, and I can't blame him.  Still, though, he's continuing to improve.  He tried playing a little this morning, but after 5 minutes he decided sleeping was a better idea.  I think it will just take a little bit of recuperation time before he's back to normal.

Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes.  It certainly meant a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment