Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Love

Before I really get into this blog, I must ask that you read the article in the link below.

Hate Group Meets Counter-Protesters

Have you read it yet?  Yes?  Great!  Now I can get started.

As you just read, there were quite a few counter-protesters protesting against hate in the City of Richmond today.  It is not, however, the fact that they were protesting that makes me so happy, but rather the way in which they did it.  To often we fight hate with hate.  The thing I hear often in VA refers to reverse-racism.  You know, we're fighting so much against one thing that we kind of lose the message.  I don't really want to get into a racism debate here, but I did want to use it as a small example.

The people protesting today could have yelled, cursed, thrown things, etc.  However, not only would it not have proved anything to the "haters" it also would have created more resentment, more hatred.  Instead of causing more trouble, the counter-protesters decided to show themselves as a unified front.  They were silent.  The message for the day was to not hate the protesters for that would only spread negative feelings, but rather to show love for the people these protesters were hating (side bar: I hope you're not too confused.  There were a few protestations today.).  At the Holocaust Museum, the protesters were invited inside.  At VCU, the counter-protesters talked of love and acceptance.  At the JCC they were silent.

Imagine, 300-400 people all coming out to show how much they love one another.  Isn't it beautiful?  I don't mean to get too corny, but this can't be helped.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

No comments:

Post a Comment