Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

The Next Step

Two and a half years ago Hans and I graduated from college.  Two months later we got married.  Just under 2 months after that Hans was hired at master carpenter at TIV.  Just over a year after Hans was hired I decided to go to dog training school and have since started my own business.  Now, two and a half years after the graduation and marriage Hans is happy in his position at TIV (still master carpenter) and I'm thrilled to be a dog trainer.  Business is good, not great, but it's getting better.  I'm finding that I'm comfortable with the business now, and I'm worrying less and less about the day-to-day operations.  This, of course, means I can enjoy my time with Hans a lot more.  So, what's the next step in the game of life?

A lot of friends and family say it's time for the baby.  I've already posted this before, but let me be more adamant.  SHUT YOUR TRAP!  Yes, I want a child, but I certainly don't want one yet.  I want to wait until my income actually counts for something.  Others might say that now is the time to just relax.  Take a break and don't worry so much about the next step.  To these people I say that I'm an American and sitting still isn't an option.  Basically, I want more.  So, again, what's the next step?

Well, Hans and I are looking for a house.  Yes, I'll make it official.  We want a house, and we are actively searching for one.  Of course, I already mentioned my income situation, so our budget is small, but that's the joy of this economy.  We can actually afford a house!  We have a decent down payment, but we're really looking for something slightly below our budget.  The rent here is closer to the top of our budget, and I'd rather be able to go out for dinner without having to worry about the cost.  Besides, if we can find a great house at a cheap price, we can fix it up a little and sell it for an even hire price in a few years. 

I've tried to be quiet about the whole process lately because I wasn't sure it would actually be a possibility, but after talking with banks and looking at house prices, I'm certain we'll be moving into a home by June (because that's when our lease is up).  I'm so excited, and that's all I can think about when I'm not thinking about the dogs.  I'm dreaming of giving Cody a yard to play in, of having a yard and being able to adopt Merlin, of a nice large kitchen with room to store our supplies and plenty of counter space to cook in, of using the bathroom without the neighbors hearing (granted they only hear the pipes running), of a garage to store dog supplies and tools in, of a basement to run to during inclement weather, of a train room for Hans. 

Ok, I'm dreaming of a lot, but I know that perfect house is out there somewhere.  I just can't wait to find it!

1 comment: