Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sugar

I hate sugar. I really, really hate sugar. Actually, I loathe sugar.

Ok, that's the farthest thing from the truth ever. I am absolutely addicted to sugar which is why I hate it so much now. You know how a recovering alcoholic can be just fine, but then just one sip of alcohol can send them over the edge? That's how I am with sugar. I'll be just fine. I'll be happy, working out, having a good time when BAM! I taste sugar. Then, of course, I start craving sugar and everything changes.

It's interesting what sugar does to the body (or at least to my body). Sugar tends to make me dislike myself. It's odd, and yet I completely understand. When I have a lot of sugar I feel kind of sick. It makes my body tired, but I'm also on a sugar high and so I can't just relax. Then, comes the crash. I just lay around, somewhat comatose for a few hours (days) and try to recuperate. So, since I end up not doing anything, I also end up with feelings of worthlessness. It's quite a difficult thing to get through.

The bad news is that I end up feeling like crud. The good news is that I can recognize and understand why. Isn't admitting you have a problem the first step to recovery? After a weekend such as the one that just past (a party was held, cake was made, cream puffs were devoured), I may feel terrible about myself, but at least I know why. Plus, if I then just go a few days without too many processed foods I'm typically fine.

As a matter of fact, I can already tell that today will be a much better day than yesterday, and tomorrow will probably be better than today. Yesterday I did virtually nothing. Today I may take Cody for a walk (or maybe to the park), but tomorrow we may go for a jog. Thursday I might jog in the morning and play tennis in the evening (nothing happens in the afternoon due to heat), and I already have outside plans for Friday. Now then, if I can only keep my hands off the cake that's in the fridge, I'll really be set!

1 comment: