Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

Well That Wasn't What I Had In Mind

On Wednesday, I went out for a run with one of my running buddies.  While out and about, she and I chatted a bit about the gym, and I mentioned that I really needed to start using my membership more.  I'd been focusing so much time on running that I'd pretty much forgotten about the gym (except for that one swim after the marathon).  I really enjoy swimming and cycling, but with the business and the long runs I just didn't seem to have time for it.

Yesterday, I met up with her and another friend for another run.  We were headed out for a simple 4 mile run, and, while I was REALLY tired, I figured I'd be just fine.  Things were going pretty great until about 3.5 miles in.  All of a sudden, my foot started to hurt.  It was more of a bad ache, so I focused on my stride, adjusted my posture, and hoped it would feel better.  It did for a little bit, but on the last little stretch of run it really started to hurt.  I mean, it hurt so bad I was limping...significantly limping.  I figured I must not have stretched enough or loosened up enough and I'd be fine after a bit of rest and a hot shower.  I got in the car and went home.

By the time I got home ten minutes later I couldn't apply any pressure to my foot.  Walking sent pain shooting through my leg, and climbing the stairs was an adventure.  I got in the shower and hoped it would feel better, but it didn't.  I rested on the bed for a short while, and I hoped my foot would relax and feel better then.  It didn't.  When I stood up again my foot hurt so bad I teared up (not something I usually do).

I went in to work and I immediately researched "stress fracture."  Unfortunately, that's what all the signs point to.  Well, to be honest, I'm not sure it's a full blown stress fracture.  It may just be a stress reaction (the precursor to a fracture), but it still means my running will have to go on hold for a while.  It means I have to take things easy at work (not so easy for a girl who runs a doggy day care).  It means I have to rest for 4-6 weeks, maybe longer, and it means that I won't be able to enjoy long runs with Cody in the morning.  This last one is probably the most depressing for me. :(

I am trying to look on the bright side, though.  This is a great opportunity for me to return to the gym.  I can swim my little heart out, and that's great.  I should also be able to cycle fairly regularly, so I should be able to keep up my running dates as long as I stay on my bike.  As for the work thing, well I'm trying to reorganize my schedule so I can take a few more breaks, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Today I'm kind of down in the dumps and crabby, but I'm sure my first good swim / bike ride will make things better!

No comments:

Post a Comment