Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Worst Run Ever! (Almost)

Friday, I had a big day planned.  I had a full day of work, plus a Christmas party at Hans' work, plus I was doing a segment on the morning news about pet safety through the holidays.  This last thing meant that Cody would be with me, and it meant I needed him to get some exercise so he was tired, so it was the perfect day for a run.  I knew it would take at least 7 miles to really wear him out, but I was also scheduled to run 13 miles on Saturday.  Well, I just rearranged my days a bit, and decided to wake up really early and run 13 miles on Friday morning.  So, I woke up at 3:30 in the morning, got dressed, and headed out.  I was happy that Cody really was ready and excited to go for a run that early, and I was happy that Hans had decided to bike at least half the route with me before biking in to the kennel.

I had the route all planned out, and headed out for a run.  I was doing great (albeit a little slower because I was tired) until about mile 3.  All of a sudden, my stomach cramped a little.  Ouch!  I willed that sensation to go away and continued on.  At mile 3.5 that cramp came back.  I was a little surprised because my morning had been fairly normal, and I'd done all the necessary things I normally do before a run, but I figured I'd be fine.  If worse came to worse, I knew there was a port-o-potty in about another mile or so, so I could take care of things there.  By mile 4.5 I had to stop and walk.  There would be serious trouble if I ran any more.  Luckily, I knew that port-o-potty was just on the other side of the lake, so I could quickly walk there.  When I got to the other side of the lake, however, the port-o-potty was gone!!!  This was bad...really bad.

One of Hans' co-workers lives right in that area, and Hans offered to call him, but I declined.  It was barely even 5:00 am yet, and I was not going to wake up someone I only saw at Hans' work just to use his bathroom.  I mean, I know he's really nice, but that would have been beyond humiliating.  Hans mentioned he thought he saw another facility back at the entrance of the park, so he could bike around to see if it was open.  I walked in that general direction.

By mile 5, I passed a grove of bushes.  I seriously (very seriously) considered turning off my headlamp and jumping behind them for a short while.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Hans reported back about the bathroom...locked.  I told him to bike home and bring me the car.  This run was over, and I was in full-blown emergency mode.  I even considered walking back to those bushes.  When I turned around, however, I saw a beacon of hope...the boathouse for the lake.  Lights were on around it, but I had no idea if it was open.  It didn't look open, but I had to try.  Hans, apparently, decided to text his coworker.

I made it to the boathouse, and before I even tried the door I could see it was cracked open a little.  It was open!!!  There was a public restroom, with working toilets and everything, and it was open!!  HALLELUJAH!  A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!  I called Hans and told him I was fine, and he sounded relieved, although he did mention that his coworker was already awake, so that would have been an alternative.

I stayed in that restroom for a brief while, and then decided to continue with my run.  Things were not so great at first since tummy troubles tend to make for not so great running.  I took it slow, though, walked a couple of times, and decided to take a Shot Block for an added boost.  Finally, 13 miles later, I returned home; tired, but no worse for wear.

The rest of the day was busy.  The news segment went well, work kept me moving, and by the end I was EXHAUSTED!  I came home and crashed.  Oh, and you know that Christmas party at Hans' work I mentioned?  Well, I did see his coworker there.  Luckily, although I'm not sure why, I was not at all embarrassed about this ordeal.  I guess I know it's a fact of running that some time I might get stuck.  I know runners who have used the bushes (heck I saw some on the marathon), and I was just relieved it hadn't gotten that far.  So, Hans, his coworker, and I all had a good, long laugh over the ordeal.  I was the only one, though, who had also had a good long run! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad it all workeed out OK for you on the run. Hate it when stuff like that happens. You deserve a good rest. Wags
    Ernie

    ReplyDelete