Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Was It Worth It?

I keep asking myself this question over and over, and the answer is a resounding NO!  No, it was not worth it.  I absolutely, positively was NOT worth it.  No, the fondue and chocolate mousse with brownies followed by a big burger the next day was not worth how I feel right now.

Hans and I kind of have this agreement.  We both want to live healthier lives, so we eat healthy throughout the week.  He's eating salads, I'm making smoothies, and we feel great throughout the week.  However, we'd both get sick of food if we had to eat like that all the time, so we take weekends off.  Ideally, it's not meant to be a splurge, but rather a relaxation.  This is when it's OK to have a little ice cream.  It's when we might eat out.  It's when eating super-healthy takes a back seat, and carbs are the driving force.

In theory, this works really well.  I feel like the break allows me to start Monday with renewed vigor, and Hans is willing to eat salads simply because he doesn't have to every day.  In practice, it has one major drawback- how we feel afterward.  Personally, I feel hungover.  My head hurts, my mouth is dry, I'm craving greasy foods, and I think I'm going to be sick.  Oh, and the only alcohol I've had all week was the wine in the fondue, and that cooked off.  Friday I felt so good.  Saturday I felt capable of anything.  Sunday afternoon (just a few hours after my Energy post) is when it hit.  I crashed.

I didn't have any energy, and I went to bed early.  I slept very poorly, waking up every few hours, but I thought I'd be fine by Monday.  Yesterday started out well, but by mid-morning I was a wreck.  My whole body ached, and all I could think about were the brownies left over from the weekend.  Thank God that we had apples, because I don't think I would have been able to resist them.  I went to bed early last night, and hoped that I'd feel much better today.  Well, I do and I don't.  I slept in an extra two hours, begging Hans to take care of the dogs for me.  I did get my run in, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.  I feel better than yesterday and my headache is less, but I still feel sluggish.  Oh, and don't even get me started on the depressing thoughts I'm fighting off.

I hate this feeling. 

I'm OK with relaxing the rules every once in a while, but I think that unless I have a couple days to sleep it off, I should stay away from the really rich foods.  Because those really rich foods just aren't worth it. 

You live, you learn.  That's all there is too it.

No comments:

Post a Comment