Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Eating Right

As you may already know Hans and I went to visit his grandma in NC this past weekend.  While there, I ran my longest run to date (hurray!), and I saw the film The Artist (I recommend it).  We also ate out a lot. 

It's kind of funny, because on our way to NC I told Hans that I was really going to need his help eating well this week.  I know that in order to reach my goal time in the 10k, I'm going to need to drop a couple of pounds, and I also know that traveling and family can equal disaster when it comes to eating right.  Sure enough, I was right.  I'm going to take a moment here to yell at Hans.  Sweetie, I love you, but you were kind of useless on the eat right band wagon. :P  Still, though, I'm the one who ordered those Nutella crepes from Ihop (definitely hit the spot), and I'm the one who had one too many cookies.  It wasn't a terrible weekend overall, but for what I'm trying to do it was flat out awful.

Yesterday, I started the week with renewed vigor.  I know I need to start eating more fruits and veggies, so I made a salad for lunch, and I sat down.  Lunch yesterday came much later than I prefer, and I didn't have a whole lot on my plate, so I decided to sit down and watch a movie on Netflix.

A friend of mine, Kristie, posted recently on her blog about this movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  I'd seen it on Netflix, and I'd been wanting to watch it, so after her review I figured this should be the movie I watch...a perfect salad movie.

I have to say, it was very interesting.  A lot of what was said I've always believed to be true (we are what we eat, many medical conditions are the results of poor diets, etc.), but this guy really took it to the extreme by doing a juice fast for 60 days.  He lost a boat load of weight and also cured an autoimmune disorder that he'd been suffering from for quite a few years.

Well, while I thoroughly enjoyed the film, it did not quite motivate me to do a juice fast (mainly because I don't own a juicer), but has motivated me to seek more balance in my eating styles.  The goal for the next month is to incorporate more fruits and veggies and to reduce the amount of meat and grain I'm eating.  There are so many fruits that I love, but that I never know what to do with.  There are so many veggies that I'd love to try, but I also don't know what to do with.  I'm hoping this will encourage me to incorporate them some more.  Oh, and to Hans' credit, he's decided to join me on this adventure.  He even made his own salad for lunch (a true shocker if you know my husband).  I am really hoping this works for us.

The Dogs Now That We're Home

One more thing about our trip.  Apparently the dogs missed us.  We took Cody, but we left Lollie and the fosters at home.  I still think this was the best decision, but I feel guilty about leaving Lollie behind.  She is SO happy that we're home.  Really, they're all happy, but Lollie is thrilled.  She's been a little chatty Cathy; barking at us when we get home or when she's in the car, or even if she just wants attention.  I think it's sweet!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the run! Also, Karl and I decided to have regular dinners and juice for lunch and breakfast. We end up using the blender as much as the juicer. Anyways, good luck in your health quest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that on your last blog. I just figured I'll have really green breakfasts and lunches, but my dinner will incorporate a little more meat and grain. It's working out pretty well so far.

      Delete