Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Curse You Facebook!

About three weeks ago, I decided to give up Facebook for Lent.  It's time for a progress report.

All in all, it's been...not as easy as I'd hoped.  I seriously did not realize how much Facebook had become a part of my life.  I keep up with people through Facebook.  I follow the news through Facebook.  I promote my causes and my business through Facebook.  Staying away from it has been difficult.  I find that I have little thoughts running through my mind all day, and many of them I think, "I should post that on Facebook!"  Obviously I needed this Facebook detox.

To make matters worse, I keep getting Facebook "reminders."  My mom or Hans will say something like, "Did you hear about so and so?  They announced on Facebook..."  Hans even asked me one day, "Did you see this on Facebook?"  He definitely got an icy stare for that one.  That's not the worst of it, though.  Apparently, if you're gone from Facebook for a period of time, they'll send you a notice.  It's just a friendly little note informing you of news you may have missed.  This could be notifications on your wall or just little tidbits that your friends have posted.  I got one of those yesterday.  Curses!  Oh yeah!  And just about everything is linked back to Facebook now.  It's frustrating!

All that said, it's not terrible.  I'm finding that I'm more focused throughout the day.  I'm not wasting all my time on Facebook.  Now I'm going for runs or bathing the dogs or writing a blog (not much better, but better).  Oh, and I've really gotten a lot of reading done.  I'm already on my third book in two weeks.  Of course, the nicer weather and the ability to read outside on my porch doesn't hurt.

When it's all said and done, I do think I'll return to Facebook after Lent.  I also think I'll do my best to limit my time there.  There is so much life to live, why should I spend it staring at Facebook???

No comments:

Post a Comment