Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

Things have been going really well here.  I feel like I have been super productive, and I know Hans is thrilled with all the work I've been getting done.  I've cleaned and folded laundry, and I've even been cooking regularly (eggs and bacon with an orange and toast every morning is always a plus).  Part of my cooking has meant that I've been exploring some new recipes, and I've been returning to old favorites I haven't made in a while.  While most of my cooking has been fairly healthy, I've had a few that could be healthier.  That said, the way I see it, it's all healthier than eating out, so it's a plus.

Anyway, I'm hoping to post some of my recipes online regularly.  I'd like to be able to do every Tuesday, but I'm not going to promise anything.  Just be patient, and you'll get a recipe every now and then.

For our first recipe, I'm sharing:

Apple Chicken Stir-Fry
Not the best picture, but still tasty.

Ingredients:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 1/2 Tbs + 1 1/2 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. onion, vertically sliced
- 1 3/4 c. carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1c. fresh or frozen snow peas
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 medium baking apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 c. cooked brown rice

Heat 1 1/2 Tbs  of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add cubed chicken breast and stir-fry until lightly browned and cooked.  Remove from skillet.  Stir-fry onion, carrots, and basil in remaining 1 1/2 tsp of oil in same skillet until carrots are tender.  Stir in pea pods and water; stir-fry 2 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in apple.  Add to chicken, serve over hot, cooked rice.

Per serving: 330 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 29g protein.  Makes 4 servings

This recipe is courtesy of Martinsfoods.com.  It is quite tasty, but I do have to say there are some things I'd like to try.

While the recipe is delicious as is, it was also a little plain.  I'd like to see how it would taste if it were cooked in sesame oil instead of vegetable oil.  I also wonder how it'd be with a splash of apple cider or even a spritz of citrus juice to flavor things up.  All in all, though, it's a great way to get all your veggies in one meal.  Oh, and I think it would be easy enough to add or remove any veggies.  I would definitely add some peppers and mushrooms, because I love peppers and mushrooms.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment