Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Running Makes Everything Better

Hello all!  Wow, it's been a bit of time since I last posted.  After last weekend, I was so tired I couldn't think straight.  It took me until Thursday to even start feeling like my old self.  I was just kind of coping through the week.  I couldn't seem to get up early, I wasn't going for runs, I barely made it to the gym for one of my favorite classes, I skipped yoga, and I was inexplicably tired.  By Thursday, I knew something had to change or I'd get stuck in that groove.  As I was getting ready to meet Hans for lunch, a thought struck me.  Hans' work is 3.1 mi (a 5k) away from the house.  I had some free time.  Why not run it?  So, I threw on my running clothes, put a leash and collar on Cody, and headed out.  That was beginning of my feeling better.

Friday was a busy day of appointments, so no running happened, but I still felt good.

Saturday started a lot of busyness.  Saturday was Henrico Humane's Bark in the Park, and I was a vendor.  So, Hans and I woke up at 4:30 in the morning, loaded up the truck (in the rain), and headed out to set up.  For the first time ever, Bark in the Park included a 5k, and I decided I'd also like to be a part of that.  At 8:45 I left Hans to finish setting up, and I headed over to the starting line.  Off I went!  Half an hour later, I was crossing the finish line, then a quick change, and then time to run a booth.  By the time I was back at my booth, they were announcing the results of the race, and I was in for a surprise.  I placed FIRST in my age group!!!  Yay!!!!  The rest of the day was just wonderful.  There was time with the dogs, lots of new people to meet, and a cool, sunny day.

It's not the best picture, but I'm crossing the finish line.

Kyla and Alex are tired...and enjoying the Adirondog beds.
After Bark in the Park ended, Hans and I dropped everything off at the house, and then we headed out again.  Off to the Italian Festival!!!  We didn't stay long...we were kind of tired, but we had fun.  Once we got home, we promptly fell 6:30 pm.  A quiet evening at home was exactly what the doctor called for.

Sunday was another busy day.  We were lucky because our trainer called on Saturday to say he wouldn't be able to make it on Sunday morning.  YAY!  Sleep!  We had a relaxing Sunday morning, and then it was time for church.  After church, we had a lovely lunch out, and then we had big plans.  Hans and I wanted to plant bulbs and organize our flower beds in the front yard.  We gathered our bulbs and headed out.  It was cold, it was threatening to rain, and we were still tired from the day before, but somehow we worked perfectly together.  It was almost like we were doing a dance.  He'd ready the soil, I'd plant the seeds.  I'd split some of the plants that were already there, he'd spread more topsoil.  It was great.

After we finished, Mom wanted to go to the state fair, so were were off again.  I'll say this about the VA State Fair: Its new location means it's a lot bigger and better than it used to be, but it's not NEARLY as good as the MN State Fair.  Still, though, we had a good time.  All in all, we had a blast.

Yesterday, I took it fairly easy and went to bed early, but this morning I was up early again.  Cody and I headed out for a nice, long run, and Hans took Rocky B (our foster) for a nice, long bike ride.  Both dogs are now tired, and I'm feeling great.  Now, I have to get back to work.  Off to work I go!