Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guilt

Here's the deal.  I love going to the gym.  I never thought I'd say that.  I never thought I'd be the gym-going sort of person, but I am, and I love it.  Frankly, I don't love the ellipticals or the treadmills or the stationary bikes (if I'm going to run or bike I can do that outside).  I love the pool and the sauna and the yoga and any other class that seems interesting to me.  I love doing things in that group setting that I wouldn't necessarily do on my own.  With winter just around the corner, I foresee that I'll be going to the gym more and more...if anything just to sit in the sauna and warm up.  I love that sauna!

There is, however, one problem with my gym excursions.  I feel horribly guilty.  I feel like there are a thousand other things I should be doing.  I should be cleaning.  I should be working.  I should be walking Cody.  I should, I should, I should.  It's funny.  Even as I type this, I keep thinking of what my voice teacher in college used to always say, "Don't should on yourself."  Still, though, I feel guilty for taking that time out of the day for myself.

I don't feel guilty on my runs.  I have Cody with me, and they're early enough in the morning that I know that if I weren't running I'd be sleeping, so I feel proud for choosing the healthier route.  The gym, though, usually comes mid-morning because that's when all the classes I like are held.  So, I leave the house thinking, "I should be doing something else right now." 

The thing is, I really love my gym time.  I love that time spent on me.  I love the quiet of the sauna and the rhythm of the water in the pool.  I love the flow of yoga and pace of BodyPump.  I love leaving the gym and feeling like some fit and cool gym-goer.  I love all of it, so I'm not willing to give it up. 

I guess I'll just have to start getting things more done when I'm not at the gym. 

3 comments:

  1. I say you shouldn't feel guilty. It's not like you're neglecting a child. You're just taking some time for you. I always joke with Karl and mention this:

    http://pinterest.com/pin/158829886/

    So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristie, I love that Pin! Seriously, it cracked me up!

    Gosh, though, don't even get me started on neglecting a child. Cody may not be human, but he gives me some pretty dirty looks when I leave. Plus, now he's started to run for a toy as soon as I get home. Obviously I do not play with him enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't feel guilty! Treating your body right is going to go a long way over cleaning a room! I have to remind myself of that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete