Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

What The Dogs Have Taught Me

I live with dogs.  I love living with dogs.  It doesn't matter if there's one or 15, I love being around dogs.  Of course, Cody's my number 1 dog, but that's beside the point.  Why do I love living with dogs?  It's simple.  They can teach us so much about life.   So, here it is, a brief list of some of the things my dogs have taught me!

The Pack Stays Together
It is very important for my dogs that everyone be together as much as possible.  Yesterday we all had some time together, and the dogs seemed happy.  However, that afternoon, Hans had to go to work and the the entire mood shifted.  The dogs moped.  Cody sat by the front window, just waiting for his dad to return.  This is a normal occurrence.  When one member of the family is gone, the dogs will sit and wait for his/her return.  When that member returns, there is much rejoicing.  Oh, and if both of us are gone and only one returns, there is excitement, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it rejoicing.  They're only truly happy if we're ALL together.

Greet The People You Love With Much Joy.
I love coming home to my dogs.  Cody in particular is great on a return home.  Whether it's one dog or five dogs, the first thing I see as I walk to the door is a furry head and a wagging tail.  When I come in I'm greeted with kisses and hugs and more wagging tails.  I'm basically treated like a long-lost relative who's finally returned.  Wouldn't it be great if we all acted like that towards our loved ones?

Hard Work Is Necessary
That's not to say that hard work = miserable work.  Hard work can be quite enjoyable.  Here's the thing, though.  Without it, we're miserable!  Cody has multiple jobs.  These jobs include dog trainer (he communicates in ways I can't), frisbee catcher (his favorite), kitchen hoover (yes, he does this on command, and it's his second favorite), and bed warmer.  Of course, the dog trainer is the one that most resembles work, but the others are just as important.  Without those jobs, Cody becomes cranky, feisty, and unmanageable.  His jobs aren't as strenuous as what some dogs have, but they're just as important.  So are the jobs that we as people hold.

Rest and Playtime Are Just As Necessary As Hard Work
This one's kind of a no brainer.  I don't think I'm going to go into great detail on this one.

There's Always Time for Play (a.k.a. Don't Be Afraid To Look Like an Idiot)
The dogs don't worry about what they look like.  They don't care if their hair is in place, or if there's dirt on their paws, or if there's slobber on their snouts.  All they care about is that they're having fun.  My dogs have no trouble getting a laugh out of me.  They're not afraid to roll in mud, dirt, or water.  They love running and running and running as fast as they can...in circles.  They're constantly jumping, running, and falling, and I think they're hilarious.  They may not always be graceful, but they're wonderful.  Maybe if we could stop wasting time and energy on our appearances we'd be able to waste more time on having fun!!

Love Like There Is No Tomorrow
My dogs love me unconditionally, and they show it all the time.  They give kisses and snuggles and tail wags.  I have never had a day where I doubt that my dogs love me.  I can't say that about everyone I know (not even always myself).  Why can't we act this way?

Wake Up Like You Are Grateful To Be Alive
When the alarm goes off in the morning, the first thing Cody does is jump up on our bed and give us kisses.  He buries his head in our arms, and he gives us tons of hugs.  If we decide to hit snooze, he'll go back to sleep quickly (thank goodness), but he's always happy that we're all awake.  He doesn't want to miss an opportunity to say, "I love you!"  Guess what.  That's my favorite time of the entire day.  I may be tired.  I may not want to be up yet, but as soon as I see that adorable face I'm happy.  I'm happy to see him, and I'm happy to be alive.

I could let this post go on and on, but I'm going to cut it off there for now.  I love my dogs, and they have brought more joy to my life than anyone could ever imagine.  I learn from them every day, and I can't wait to find out what else they have to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment