Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

In The Middle

Lately, I've come to a realization.  Apparently, I'm old!  OK, so "old" probably isn't the right word.  However, I'm no longer of college age, and college students view me as older and wiser (bizarre, isn't it?).  That said, though, I also don't quite feel that I'm in the fully-an-adult stage either.  I'm kind of in the middle.

You see, half the people my age are still in school, living with their parents, and going out late to parties that last half the night.  The other half are holding decent jobs and starting their families.  I am the person who's married and running a business, but not yet ready to start a family (aside from my doggy children).  I prefer making jam and baking (I'd knit if I knew how) to partying and staying out late.  I love schedules and I'd prefer to be in bed by 10:00 or 11:00...not 2:00 or 3:00.

So, I have this dilemma.  Basically, there are few people I truly enjoy hanging out with.  The ones who aren't partyers, the ones with a similar mindset, are often tied up with family activities.  Finding friends who are mature but not quite "that" mature is quite difficult, and I'm left with the feeling that I'm missing out on something.

There is one upside to this, though.  I very much appreciate the friends I have.  Those few friends I've made who enjoy board games to drinking and dinners to diapers are a treasured rarity, and I love them dearly.

So, while I may feel stuck in the middle, I'm not too upset.  I can say I am at least past the party-all-night stage (not that I ever really entered it), and I know I have something to look forward to.  For now, though, I'm just going to enjoy the amazing stage that I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment