Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Well At Least We Made Garrett Happy

Yesterday started out as a pretty non-eventful day.  Hans and I slept in, had some Johnnie Bread for breakfast, took Cody into town, had Culver's for lunch, came back and relaxed for a few hours.  Then the excitement began.

For Father's Day for Garrett, Betsy decided to buy us all tickets to the Twins vs. White Sox game at the new Target Field.  By "all" I mean Hans, me, Emily, Garrett, Betsy, Chris, Liz, and Liz's dad, Jim.  For many of us it was our first time in Target Field.  Previously, the Twins had been playing in the Metrodome (where the Vikings continue to play). 

Hans and I hadn't been to a Twins game since 2003, so we were pretty excited.  Garrett, however, was not.  You see, Garrett is a die-hard White Sox fan, and the Twins had beaten the White Sox by a single point in the two games prior to this.  Eight of us went into the game expecting a sweep.  Seven of us were excited by this prospect.  One of us was not.

Well, we made Garrett happy.  I still claim that Hans called the Twins and paid them to lose.  Surely, we would not have lost so bad otherwise. :P  Not only did we lose, we never even made it to the game.  We lost 11 to 0!!!!  The White Sox had 21 hits, we had 5!  How does that happen?  In the two previous games, we had won 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 (or something like that).  How did we lose so terribly?  Oh well, c'est la vie!  We still had fun, and I really liked Target Field.
Target Field- Isn't it beautiful?
We didn't have nose-bleed seats.  We had Skyline View seats.  I liked it!

RUNNING WITH DOGS

One thing I'm proud about is that I've continued my running through this trip.  I haven't gotten out quite as often as I'd like, but I'm still getting out, and that's what counts.  I do this partially for me and partially for Cody.  He really likes our jogs and it helps to wear him out for the rest of the day.

Here's the thing, though.  If you ever hear me talk about going on vacation and thinking about leaving my running shoes behind, smack me!  I was trying to cut back on the amount we packed, so when I decided on shoes I chose my Crocs (good for travel) and my work sneakers.  My thought was that my work sneakers are running shoes, and they're the same brand as MY running shoes.  Surely they would work out just fine.  The thing is, though, they're not.  Apparently they're slightly heavier, and the fit just a little different.  Every step is like a shock to my system, and I can feel it pound through my ankles, knees, and back.  It's actually enough to make me want to try barefoot running.  Actually, not a bad idea.  I'm barefoot a lot anyway.  Maybe I should run like my dog...sans shoes!

Also, it's quite different running in MN than in VA (a fact I knew to always be true).  Since we're closer to sea level, the air in VA is much thicker.  I find it easier to catch my breath.  Here, it doesn't take long for me to be winded and tired.  Oh well, it's good to train in different altitudes!  Watch, by the time we get home I'll be running barefoot with the ability to go 5 miles without a second thought!  Ok, so that's overkill, but I do remember when I first moved back to VA from MN.  Running was a lot easier.  I'd like to keep it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment