Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Much Needed Sleep

I had big plans for this weekend.  I had planned on cleaning and getting the house in order, so it would look nice before our upcoming trip to MN (we're going up for the SIL's graduation).  I'd cleaned a good deal last week, so I figured I could finish it up this weekend.  Enter hitch number 1.

The theatre community had a beloved friend pass away last week.  It wasn't necessarily unexpected, but the thought of missing his funeral was unthinkable.  So, instead of taking the morning to clean on Saturday, we got dressed up to bid farewell to our dear friend.

We'd woken up late, and we hadn't had much breakfast (just a granola bar), so by the time the Mass was over we were quite hungry.  Note: Always make sure you've eaten a little before a burial or else you might come across as rude when your belly makes horrible hunger sounds.  We couldn't think of anything we wanted at home, so we stopped at Moe's Southwest Grill (yumm).  At this point, it was 2:00 p.m., and we were near the kennel, so we stopped to check in on things.  We finally made it home by 3:15, and I was so tired I could barely function.  I laid down to relax for a bit while Hans, blessing that he his, finished painting the bathroom.  That evening, we spent some time with the neighbors, but I was exhausted and wasn't feeling well, so I'm not sure we were fun to be around.

Sunday we woke up early to go to the kennel and then head out for our weekly pack walk.  As is becoming tradition, after the walk we grabbed a quick breakfast.  The plan was then to head to church, but we were running late, and I was still tired, so we decided to skip.  I fell asleep within 5 minutes of lying down, so I think we made the right decision.  The rest of the day was spent at the kennel with a short break to go grocery shopping.

Then there was yesterday.  I had to work at the kennel in the morning, but I figured I'd get some cleaning done in the afternoon.  The plan was for me to run home (literally run), change, and then get to work, however, Hans, who had the day off, had forgotten to take the dogs with him when he left.  Since Lollie can't run even half a mile, he had to come back to get them.  Unfortunately, he arrived around the same time I was supposed to leave, and I decided to cancel my run.  I just wasn't feeling it.

When we got home, I went over the list of things I could / should do.  I wanted to clean, or read, or cook, or even just sit outside, but by the time I'd taken off my shirt to change, I'd decided to crawl back into bed.  I was just planning or relaxing for a short while, but two hours later I was waking up with a GIANT puddle of drool on my cheek.

We then tried the whole neighborly bonding thing again, and this time it went much better.  We enjoyed hotdogs and hamburgers fresh from the grill, and some freshly made chocolate chip cookies.  Then, it was back to the kennel for the night shift.

This morning, I could have slept in a bit, but I decided to run instead.  I was a little groggy, but it was nowhere near as bad as the exhaustion I felt last week.  Apparently I needed some sleep.  After my simple yet invigorating 4 mile run, I came home and did some brief yoga to help stretch me out.  Maybe I'll even get some cleaning done later!

As I go into this week, I'm going to try to remember one thing: Sleep  A LOT!  Taking a nap is not always a bad thing.  Sometimes you don't need to read a book or just relax.  Sometimes you just need to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment