Saturday, August 11, 2012

MTT Week 11- Twelve Miles

If ever I needed a long run, today was the day.  This week has been particularly long and stressful, and I really needed some time to run things out and make myself feel good.  I was excited for the run.  However, I was also very anxious.  Earlier in the week I had taken the time to map out the run.  Even though the route was very similar to our 9 mile run, those extra 3 miles just seem to add SO MUCH.  For the first time since I started training I thought I might not be able to achieve the mileage.  Ten miles had been fairly difficult.  How would I survive 12?  If I couldn't do 12, could I manage the 13.1 scheduled in another two weeks?  I knew I had to squash those negative thoughts, so I just kept telling myself I could make it.  I'd run 10, what's another 2 miles?  Last night, I felt prepared.

This morning I woke up, and I was tired.  The alarm came too early, and I wanted to go back to bed.  Lollie and Cody were warm and snuggly, and I wanted to enjoy the time with them.  However, I quickly remembered why I was waking up so early, and I pulled myself out of bed.  I had to get dressed, grab a bite to eat, take Hans to work, and meet my team for my run.  That's when I heard the thunder.  My first thought was, "I hope the run isn't cancelled!"  My second thought was, "You must really be enjoying this because you're hoping the storm leaves so you can run 12 miles."  Yep, I am enjoying this!

Luckily the storm moved through quickly, so by the time I met my team there were only clouds in the sky.  I hoped things would stay cool, and I said a little prayer that I'd be able to finish.  Then, I met up with my running buddies, and in no time we were off.

I'd like to say the run had a lot of eventful things happen.  I'd like to tell you some wicked-awesome story.  Really, though, the run was uneventful.  SAGs were placed perfectly, I'd filled my water bottles with just the right mixture of Gatorade, and I was surprised at how good I felt.  The hills didn't seem as hard as usual, and the points where I normally would have wanted to walk I was able to carry on.  Sure, I enjoyed the rest when we got caught at a red light, but I was happy to be running too.

About two miles from the end, though, I had to stop.  My shoe laces were loose, and I needed to tighten them.  I'm not sure if it was the tighter shoes, or if it was the fact that we were only 2 miles from finishing, but I wanted to GO.  Both of my buddies had taken sports gels, but they were tired.  I felt great.  I told them I'd see them at the end, and I pulled ahead.  Somehow, after just having run 10 miles, I ran the last 2 at 9:00min/mi pace.  I thought I'd tire out.  I thought the last big hill would get me, and I'd have to walk.  No.  I finished strong.  I finished 12 miles!  Not only that, but I felt better after the 12 miles than I did after the 10, and the 10 miles was an easier route.

You know, I really think I'm starting to enjoy this running thing.