Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

MTT Week 7

One of these days I'll start posting more than a weekly post again.  In the mean time, I hope y'all are enjoying my marathon training tales.

Today was a fall-back day in marathon training, meaning today was a shorter run day.  Today's run was only 5 miles.  Pretty easy stuff.

The thing is, I remember a time not so long ago when 5 miles was really hard.  Five miles would leave me gasping for air, sore, and tired.  I remember that first time I ran 5 miles and being SO proud of myself.

Then, I remember going an extra mile.  I went 6 miles and then 6.2.  I remember wondering if I'd be able to finish.  I remember that any run meant that I was super-strict with what I ate the night before.  Generally I'd only have salads and pasta the whole day before, although sometimes I'd have sushi for lunch.  I was so worried about having tummy troubles and not being able to finish.  Now, I do try to make sure I don't eat too much, and I still often stick to pasta for dinner (I like pasta, and running is a good excuse to have it), but I don't really worry about it too much.  I used to only eat a banana before I ran.  Now, I've been know to have my whole breakfast (last week I ate 2 pieces of pizza before running 8 miles).

The fact that today I finished 5 miles with ease, the fact that I chatted with another runner throughout the entire run, the fact that I was shocked when it was over because I hadn't really struggled at all, that's all amazing to me.  I'm in shock and awe over what my body has accomplished.  Not only has it accomplished these things so far, it has done so while working hard to expand my business and open a kennel.  It has done so on only 4 hours of sleep a night.  It has done so with blisters on my hands from hammering all day.  I can't help but be proud of myself.

Granted, my pace is a little slower.  Things are a little harder than I'd like them to be, but it's not necessarily unexpected.  After all that work, my body is tired.  I could push harder and make it my times faster, but I'm just happy that I'm accomplishing these things.

In Other News
- Today is Hans and my five year anniversary.  I find it quite fitting that the run this morning was five miles.  Hans was waiting for me at the end of my run, and I was quite happy to see him.  I'll do another post on that, hopefully this evening.

-The kennel opens on Monday.  All that's left now is some decorating and cleaning.  I know there will be a lot more to do once we open, but the big things are done, and I am so excited.  This is something else I'm in awe over, and there will be more on that later too.

For now, I hope you all have a wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment