Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Five Years

Yesterday Hans and I celebrated our five year anniversary.  We celebrated one of many milestones to come, and our day was great.  We did things differently from last year.  Last year, our anniversary was about being alone.  We both took the day off and drove into the mountains with Cody.  We enjoyed a day of hiking and took time just to enjoy each others' company.  This year was different.  This year we were in the midst of opening a kennel.  We had dogs to take care of, and Hans' dad was / is in town and we wanted to spend time with him.  I guess you could say that our five year anniversary was spent celebrating each other in a different way.  We celebrated our hard work, we celebrated our family, and we celebrated the simple fact that we were alive and could do things together.

Yesterday was fun but uneventful.  I went for a five mile run, and Hans was there to pick me up at the end.  After coming home and showering, Hans and I took his dad to a local coffee shop where we sat and enjoyed just being out together.  Then, we went to the Hanover Tomato Festival.  It was a fun event, and we had a blast, but we ended up leaving early when we were caught in a small summer storm.  So, off to lunch we went.  We decided to go to a small, country store that sells really good barbecue, and on the way I fell asleep...apparently while Hans' dad was talking, so that was a bit embarrassing.  I was really tired, though!  After lunch, we went to the kennel for a bit to let some dogs out, and then we went home.  With a few hours to rest, we took a nap.  Oh, what a good nap it was too!  When we got up, we went back out to the kennel and to do a quick drive in search of a lost dog.  After that, we returned home, had a quick dinner, and then we too Hans' dad to see Spring Awakening at the November Theatre (where Hans' works).  When the show was over, we went out to the kennel one last time and returned home.  We had planned on going straight to bed, but since Hans' dad was still up we all sat down and talked.  Our anniversary ended with us all gathered in the living room discussing family and books and the show we had just seen earlier.  It was a lovely anniversary.

I have to say, it was quite a nice day.  It may not have been lovey and romantic, but we will have lovey and romantic anniversaries in the future.  This day, however, was just as important.  It was a day that was limited in stresses where we could have fun and do things we don't normally have the opportunity to do.  I would gladly take a repeat of yesterday any time (especially with the naps).

I am so happy that Hans and I have made it this far, and I can't wait to see what the future will bring us.  On a nearly daily basis I find that I am proud of and impressed by my husband of five years.  I'm impressed by his caring and generosity, I'm impressed at his understanding and patience, and I'm uber-impressed at his mad skills in carpentry (and electrics and plumbing).  I feel like I am the luckiest woman alive to have found him.  Five years down, an indefinite number to go!

Oh, and for those who are wondering, Hans did get me the fuel belt.  It will take some getting used to, but I love it, and he chose well!

No comments:

Post a Comment