Saturday, June 23, 2012

MTT Week 4

Today's run was completely different from last week's.  Even my attitude going into it was different.  I was in much more of a social mood this week.  Unfortunately, I was not in a social situation.  This weekend, Hans and I decided to visit his grandma in North Carolina.  This, of course, meant running on my own (ironic isn't it).  I had thought about contacting a running club to find some other runners, but I wasn't sure how our schedule would work out, and I figured running with just Cody would be fine.  Luckily, I knew a nice little area to run in, and even better, Hans decided to come out with us.  He wasn't going to run, but he did bring a camera for some nice photo opportunities and book to sit and read.  At least the drive had some companionship.

The run was HARD.  It was only four miles, and the weather wasn't too bad, but I was huffing and puffing.  My legs felt week, and all I wanted to do was stop.  I kept wishing for a SAG stop (Support And Gear), but alas this green-way didn't seem to have a SAG crew.  My pace started slow and kept slowing down, and as I worked I tried to think of why things were so hard.

First, I had not fueled well at all.  You know how they say you should never go to a grocery store hungry?  Well, yesterday I not only went to the store hungry, I went with the sole purpose of picking up some snack foods for our car trip.  I wanted dinner, and I should have grabbed some sushi or something satisfying, so I wouldn't have been so ravenous, but I did not do that.  Instead, I grabbed pretzel M&Ms, Twizzlers, and potato chips.  I also grabbed some crackers, but I never touched those. In addition to all that junk food, Hans and I stopped at Wendy's on the way down.  Yeah, I ate a bunch of crap.  I did have some cherries last night and a banana this morning, but that didn't quite make up for all that sugar.  I don't think I'll do that again.

Second, I was at a higher elevation.  I had never thought about it before, and I didn't think about it this time until after the run, but we're about 600 feet higher.  That makes a big difference.  Either way, I was really having a tough time. 

In the end, though, my times weren't too bad.  I ran at a 10:10 min/mile, but I had to push to get that.  Yay for fartleks!  Afterwards, Cody and I stretched out, I dumped some water on his head, and we went home.  All in all, a good day.

Out on a run.

Almost done!

Is it over yet?

Hydration is important for both people and dogs.

Stretch!  Doesn't he look happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment