Monday, October 18, 2010

A Busy Weekend

Well, this past week was super busy.  As busy as it was, though, it was also really fun.  So, I figured I'd fill you in on all the happenings.  Of course, Wednesday was my birthday, and you already know about that.  Thursday was pretty much just getting back into the groove of things, but Friday's when the fun really began.

Friday started out fairly slow.  I knew I had a lot to do, but I also had a bit of time to do it in.  You see, I had a few former clients come over for a practice session.  This is not something I do regularly, but these clients are helping me at an event next weekend, and we needed the practice.  I thought it would be great practice to have dinner first and work on down-stays and then to do a formal practice.  All the dogs were great, and it was wonderful seeing some of my past clients.
Everyone's just enjoyed a great meal!

This was much harder than anticipated due to the small space.  The dogs did great, but the people had to work on logistics.

Kelsey's holding a wonderful place command.

That's my mom and Alex.  Alex is like a miniature Cody...full of spit and vinegar!

The dinner was wonderful, if I may say so myself.  I did an apple-walnut salad, Hans fixed a baked pasta, and we ended the evening with homemade brownies.  So good!  We'll be having another practice this Friday, and I'm really excited.

Saturday we woke up early for a fun, annual event.  Every year we travel up to the Apple Harvest Festival at Grave's Mountain Lodge.  It started as a birthday celebration for my eleventh birthday, and it's just continued (with an interlude while I was in college).  This year, the weather was beautiful, so we were really excited.  We also went with our friends, Chip and Jean, and their dog, CJ.  Boy was I looking forward to it!  We stopped at a wonderful coffee shop in Louisa, which put us a little later than planned.  This meant it was much more crowded than usual.  We didn't spend long there (maybe an hour), but we did have a lot of fun.
See all the cars in the background?  That's only a small percentage.

Since it was so crowded, we decided to head up to White Oak Canyon Trail to avoid some of the crowds.  I've been on the trail tons of times, but it's been a while since I last visited.  I was excited, but Cody was ecstatic.  We let him and CJ off leash, and they had a blast running back and forth on the trail.  The most exciting part, though, was when we reached water.  Cody loves water, and CJ's a Lab, but we had never seen CJ in the water.  It was really sweet.

The hike was great, and the dogs were exhausted on the ride back. 
Wouldn't you love to hike through that?

Passed out between the seats.
We all slept pretty well that night, and I only hope we can do it again soon.

Sunday would have been pretty non-eventful if it hadn't been for one thing.  We got two more foster dogs.  Lucy and Sprinkles had been staying in a kennel, and they needed to be in a home.  We decided to take them in a while ago, but wanted to wait until after my birthday..  They're much easier than I'd anticipated, which is wonderful.  I've already started working with them and Tommy so they can hopefully find homes faster.  Does anyone want a new dog?

Well, that's my weekend.  I hope this next weekend is just as fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment