Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy Dogs

Today the dogs are happy.  I could just end the post there, and let you wonder why or how they're so happy.  You know, let you just be happy for them.  Alas, I'm not that cruel.  So, let me explain.  I took them jogging.

As the weather turned cold and horribly icky this year, I quickly forgot how much I enjoyed jogging.  I learned to replace jogging with the excitement of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year.  Yes, I replace exercise with food.  Probably not the best idea ever.  I made up lame excuses as to why I couldn't go out.  "It's too cold!" I'd whine when really it was maybe just a little too chilly for my usual warm-up.  A hat and some gloves would have taken care of the rest.  More importantly, however, I forgot how much Cody enjoys his jogs.

With Pet Expo only two (2!!!) days away and Cody bursting with excess energy, I had to think of something fast.  I have a few play dates set up, and I was thinking of putting him in day care for a day, but that just didn't seem to be enough.  I'd thought of teaching him new tricks, but surprisingly that just doesn't wear him out the way one would hope.  This morning I finally decided to drag my (slightly larger) butt out of bed and take him out.  Merlin came too.

I should have know it would thrill him.  As I put their collars on, Merlin looked confused as to why I was taking him out instead of Hans, but Cody looked hopeful.  Then I put on my running shoes, and Cody started to bounce.  He bounced off the bed.  He bounced into the living room.  And he bounced all the way to the front door.  He was excited.

The jog wasn't anything special, just our normal route.  The most exciting part was when Merlin pooped in the middle of the road (I had a bag), but when we got back to the apartment Cody was ecstatic.  He saw Hans and greeted him with hugs and kisses.  Then he ran back to me and seemed to express extreme amounts of gratitude.  All in all, he just seems happier, more relaxed.  While Merlin is still a bit confused (this isn't his usual morning routine) and tired, Cody is relaxed and happy.  Another morning (or 2) of this, and we'll definitely be ready for the Expo.

No comments:

Post a Comment