Friday, May 19, 2017


Well, more blogs posts last week didn't happen.  Oops!  I honestly was just really busy, but I have a little bit of free time now, so I thought I'd try it out again.

Can I just say I've had a fairly awesome week?  It started with Mother's Day.  OK, so honestly, Mother's Day had a questionable start and I wasn't certain how it would go.  Let's start with Saturday evening.

We'd had a lovely day.  We went to a birthday party, bought some new plants, and had dinner out.  Everyone was happy.  Then, as I was finishing repotting the new plants we bought, I heard Hans say, "Anna, oh no!"  He had left her alone for a few minutes...left her alone with a vase of flowers and her Mother's Day artwork from school.  She decided she wanted a flower, and in reaching for one she knocked the over the vase and spilled water all over her art.  To say it was ruined is an understatement.  Do you know what happens with water-soluble food when water hits it?  It was completely erased.  It honestly looked like someone had erased dry-erase marker from a white board.  I was so upset.  I was mad at Hans for leaving something so precious next to a vase of water, and I was mad at him for leaving those two things alone with Anna.  I also scolded Anna for trying to take something that didn't belong to her, but she was already crying after seeing the destruction done to her art, so I tried to take it easy.  Let's just say we all went to bed feeling kind of down.

To ease my anger / sadness over the ruined art (and yes, I was already laughing about it through the anger) I went out early Sunday morning for an 8 mile run.  A run which went quite well, by the way, so when I came home I was already in a much improved mood.  My mood got even better after I got home.  Hans had made breakfast quiche and Johnnie bread and a great cup of coffee.  After breakfast, Anna presented me with a new gift...homemade bookmarks made from pictures of Anna.  I definitely was happier.  Hans then told me he'd made lunch reservations for a restaurant I'd really been wanting to try, and he figured we could have a picnic dinner in the park and listen to a concert series.  I'd say it was a great day.

Monday and Tuesday were fairly uneventful, but Wednesday was fabulous.  I was worried about Wednesday because Anna had a follow up to her first ever dentist appointment.  Essentially, her first appointment stressed her out too much, and they couldn't finish the cleaning, so we had to go back.  I really wasn't looking forward to a screaming toddler, so I talked to her about what we were going to do (we talked about it a lot), and I promised her pizza if she was well-behaved.  Guys, she was so good!!  The dentist was fairly awesome too, so that was helpful, but not a single tear was shed.  Anna was definitely nervous, but she followed instructions and she did so well.  Her pizza was well-deserved, and we had a wonderful mother-daughter lunch together.  Then we went home for her nap time, and I was able to clean a little and fold laundry.  I love feeling accomplished!   After nap time, we spent an hour playing and doing puzzles, and I loved just having some free time with my daughter; no obligations, no where to be, just time together.

Hans and I had fun things planned for the evening, though, so Auntie Jess came over to babysit.  Normally if we have a babysitter it's for a date night, just the two of us, or for something specific like a show at the theatre or work.  This was date night of sorts, but it was really time for us to be social and act like child-free adults for a few hours.

We left the house and met up with Hans' coworkers for some tailgating and a soccer game.  There was food, there was beer, there were friends, and the weather was beautiful.  It was absolutely perfect.  The soccer game was a blast, although we ended up losing (boo!).  It was a fairly close match, and I had fun anyway.  Afterwards we walked down to the yogurt shop and enjoyed some tasty soft serve.  By the end of the night I was relaxed (a rarity) and genuinely happy.  It was such a good day!  I didn't get enough sleep that night, and I was exhausted yesterday, but it was definitely worth it.

Now it's Friday, and we have A LOT planned this weekend.  I'm already tired just thinking about it, but at least I'm headed into it in a good mood.

I hope you're all doing well!  Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment