Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Trying To Spin A Baby

I am on a mission.  I am going to flip this baby, so she's not breech.  Based on her lack of willingness to move in the past, I've figured that this is not going to be an easy task, so I have a three part plan.  It consists of:

1) Inversions at home.
2) Twice a week visits with the chiropractor until she flips.
3) Acupuncture and moxibustion.

If those don't work, I'll try sound and light therapy and having her manually flipped at the hospital.  I know they all sound really weird, and possibly a bit like voodoo, but my doctor, my nurses, and my doula have said to give it a shot.  Even other mothers have been recommending these treatments, so I'm confident that it will all work.

Anyway, yesterday I had a chiropractic appointment and my first session of acupuncture.  I've been seeing the chiropractor regularly (even before I was preggers), so I'm not going to go into too much detail there.  I will say, though, that I strongly recommend chiropractic care for everyone, but especially for expectant mothers.  She did a round ligament release, which felt wonderful, adjusted my back, and showed me how to do an inversion.  It was quite productive.

The acupuncture, however, was new.  I will say, for the most part, it was fairly relaxing.  I sat on a table with a lot of pillows while the acupuncturist put 8 small needles in me (two in my feet, 4 in my legs, and two in my hands).  It didn't hurt at all.  Then, he left me for 10 minutes to relax.  The lights were out, soft music was playing, and I just spent some time meditating.  After that, he came back to perform the first of 3 rounds of moxibustion.

Moxa is dried mugwort.  In moxibustion, the acupuncturist will place the moxa on the side of each pinky toe.  Then, he lights it.  It's not a big flame, rather more like incense.  He lets the moxa burn until it just touches my skin, and then he removes it.  This feels quite a bit like someone putting the end of a cigarette on your skin.  I wouldn't exactly call it pleasant, but it definitely could be much worse.  It didn't leave any sort of burn mark, and it's not the worst thing to ever happen, but still.

He left me for another 10 minutes.  This time, I fell fast asleep.  I was very relaxed, and when he came back in the room I was a bit bleary eyed.  He repeated the moxibustion again.  He then left for another 10 minutes, and repeated the moxibustion one more time.  After that, I was free to leave.  The whole process took about an hour.

So, did it work?  Well, there was definitely a lot of movement after all of that.  To be specific, there was a lot of large movements.  I wasn't just feeling kicks and jabs.  I was feeling waves and stretches.  I'm fairly certain, though, that she hasn't flipped yet.  Apparently, this is not entirely unusual as the acupuncturist and the chiropractor both said that it could take a few sessions to see the exact result we want.

I have about a month to get her to flip, and I'm working hard at it.  I trust that we'll be successful, but I wish she would just quit being so stubborn.  I'd like to not have to worry about it.  So, fingers are crossed and I'm just hoping for the best!  If you have any tips, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment