Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Running Gets Easier

So, in case you couldn't tell, I was a little upset while writing my last running-related post.  I felt fat and out of shape.  I felt slow.  I felt like I might not even be able to run the marathon this year.  Luckily, I'm feeling much better today.

Last week, after my seven mile run, I was NOT motivated to run at all.  I very much had a defeatist attitude, and I easily found excuses to not go.  Monday was a rest day, so I was fine not running.  Tuesday I wasn't feeling well (truth) and it was raining (that's never stopped me before).  Wednesday it was still raining, and I was just SO tired (excuses).  Thursday, I finally stopped making excuses and went out.  I ended up doing about 5 miles (2 more than I was supposed to) plus an additional two miles training with Hans.  Well, at least I made up for not running Tuesday or Wednesday.  Let me tell you, that five miles was H-A-R-D.  It was hot, I was tired, and I think I ended up walking the last half mile or so.  Saturday, I was scheduled for eight miles, and I was scared.  I hadn't run 8 miles in over 6 months.  Would I be able to do it?  I had trouble with five miles just two days before.  How could I handle an additional three?  Last week's seven miles was depressing and I was left feeling completely drained.  Could I add anything on to that?  I decided to take it slow and just see what I could do.

It certainly wasn't bad.  While it wasn't my best run ever, it could have been much, much worse.  I ended up walking for about a block twice, but those were after six miles.  It was a hot day and a hilly route, but I made it all the way.  When I stopped my Garmin, I looked at my pace: 11:13 min/mile.  I was disappointed as I had hoped for under 11:00, but I decided to compare my pace to last year's.  I had expected to see a 10:36 for this equivalent run last year, but that's not what I saw at all.  I saw 11:08 min/mile.  That's only a 5 second difference, and that could easily be accounted for by the fact that I didn't stop my Garmin at the SAGs this year like I did last year.  So, guess what that means.  I'm pretty much on the same pace I was last year!  Huzzah!

In addition, my run this morning was easier than it was in weeks past.  I took things at a much faster pace (about 10:00 min/mile), and didn't feel completely drained at the end.  I was happy to be done, but I quite possibly could have pulled out another mile at that pace. 

So, I guess I'm getting stronger.  My endurance is building, and my fears have all been for naught.  I'm still worried about a few things, but I'm getting there...slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment