Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Day After The Marathon

Ouch!  Ow ow ow ow ow!!  Ooh!  Ow!

It took me a good five minutes just to get out of bed this morning.  Not because I was trying to steal an extra five minutes of sleep, but because that's how long it took me just to maneuver myself out from under the covers.  I hobbled to the restroom where I was for once extremely grateful that my sink is close enough to my toilet that I can hold on to it when I sit and stand, and then I made my way down stairs.  The process went as such: Step.  Ouch.  Step.  Pain!  Step.  Good Lord!  How many stairs are there?!

To say I was sore when I woke up this morning was an understatement.  I was also very, very hungry!  I woke up, and the first thing I said was, "I want tacos."  Since I wasn't feeling so great yesterday after the run, eating was difficult, but this morning my appetite had returned.  Breakfast was needed right away!  I gave myself a little reward for finishing a marathon and burning 3500 calories in 5 hours...I ate whatever I wanted.  Jackie had left early this morning (sad face), so Dan, Hans, and I went out to a small city diner where I proceeded to eat 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, a bowl of fried apples, a biscuit with jam, half of Hans' biscuit with gravy, and an orange juice.  Oh how delicious it all was!  I can't eat like that all the time, but I very much enjoy the times when I can!

As I said before, though, my body is a constant reminder that I did something physically challenging yesterday, and to that extent there's never been better proof that a body in motion stays in motion.  When I get up and move, even if it's just standing and shifting my feet, my body stays relatively relaxed.  The more I move, the more I'm able to move.  If I sit down at all, though, even just for 10 minutes in the car, I immediately stiffen back up.  Moving again becomes difficult.  In an effort to loosen up some more, I even went to the gym for some very light swimming.  I didn't stay long, but the slow motion of some easy breast stroke and some water jogging seemed to help a lot.  I recommend it for anyone.

For a moment, though, let's forget about the physical stuff, and let me tell you about how I'm feeling emotionally.  To be honest, it all seems surreal.  Other than the fact that my legs hate me, it's hard to believe that this thing I've wanted for so long, this goal I've trained for for almost half a year has already passed.  Both Dan and Jackie are gone, and life is quickly returning back to normal (although I miss my friends terribly).  I am trying to find races to sign up for so I keep my running up, and I'm looking at 5ks, 10ks, and even half marathons.  Heck, I'm even trying to decide when I want to run my next full.  The fact of the matter is, though, that when I woke up this morning I was officially a marathoner, and that's a fact that will never change.  I've done something that only 0.5% of the US population has done, and that's something that will always bring a smile to my face.

Here's to the next big thing!

I'm a marathoner!


No comments:

Post a Comment