Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Ho Hum

So, I think this is what they mean when they talk about post-marathon blues.  It's a feeling of aimlessness, of loneliness, of isolation.

Last week was a fantastic week.  I felt fit and ready to go, two of my closest friends were in town, and I was actually getting some time off from work (I love my job, but breaks are appreciated).  On top of that, the house was showing some signs of cleaning, and I was eating really awesome breakfasts in the morning.  I ended the week by completing an awesome task and finishing a marathon.  This, of course, was followed by celebrations, words of awe and inspiration, and food (I like the food).

This week, well, this week hasn't been bad at all.  In fact, it's been quite good.  Aside from the fact that I'm tired, physically I feel great.  I've been biking and I've been working in the yards.  I've stayed on top of things at work, and I feel accomplished.  And yet, I still feel down.

I'm already looking ahead and planning my next marathon, and I'm waiting (impatiently) for registration to open, and that helps.  Still, though, I feel off.  Everyone I know has already heard my marathon story (and is probably sick of it by now).  Hans is sick and can't join me for a short run.  My friends have returned home.  Life is back to normal, and apparently I don't like normal!

I know this feeling will pass.  I know I'll feel better once I'm registered for races and running again.  I know I'll feel better once I have concrete goals to work towards.  In the mean time, though, I'm left feeling a little ho hum.  Not terrible, but not so great either.

OK, who's going to cheer me up?  Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment