Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

How?

OK, I really want to know how some people do it?  How can some people work a full day of work, keep a clean house, look gorgeous, and still present a beautiful, home-cooked meal?  Do they just never sleep?  Because, really, I'm exhausted 90% of the time, and I'm not able to do most of that.  Let me give you a run down of my daily schedule:

Scenario 1:

4:30 a.m. Wake, shower, get dressed.
6:00 a.m. Arrive at work
12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Lunch- I stay at the kennel to answer phones over lunch, so it's only a break in the sense that I get to eat and the dogs are napping.
7:00 p.m. Kennel closes.  Sometimes I'll stay and have dinner here, other times I'll run errands.
8:30-9:30 Kennel night shift.
10:00 pm.  Home and bed

Scenario 2:
4:30 a.m. Wake, get dressed
5:15 a.m. Meet running buddy for a run
6:30 a.m. Return home / shower
8:00 a.m. Arrive at work
For the rest of they day, see Scenario 1

Scenario 3:
7:30 a.m. Wake, shower, get dressed, have breakfast
8:30 a.m. Take Hans to work
9:00 a.m.-12:00 pm Run errands / clean / do tasks that I don't usually get to do
12:00 pm-2:00 pm Lunch (often with Hans
2:00 pm-10:00 pm See Scenario 1

Scenario 3 is, by far, the easiest scenario.  The problem is, if I'm lucky, I'll get that scenario twice a week.  Generally, though, I have about 500 errands to run and not enough time to run them.  So, what gets sacrificed?  Well there are a few things:
     -Cleaning
     -Cooking
     -Grocery Shopping
     -Other workouts (aka cross training)
     -Lawn care

The cleaning we can sometimes take care of by having Hans go home at 5:00 while I stay at the kennel, and for the cooking we have a toaster oven at the kennel we can use.  Of course, this means that none of our meals are delicious, home cooked meals, but eating pre-packaged fish or chicken nuggets is still better than eating out.  This works until we run out of groceries.  When that happens, we're then stuck trying to figure out what to eat when there's nothing in the freezer.  It kind of stinks.

So, I want to know.  How do others do it?  Can you see some time in there that I'm missing?  Should I not sleep in in scenario 3?  Should I stay up a little later?  Really, I'm looking for any help that anyone is willing to give.

Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Don't presume that others are really "doing it". They're getting help! Or like in our case, I really don't work long hours at all, and so I have the time to clean, do the laundry, run errands and cook meals at home (I'd rather do that FULL-time, but whatever). As for working females/moms...they definitely get help, either from their spouses or hired help.
    Things aren't always as they appear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do not mention Hans' work schedule. I'm not picking on Hans because I don't know how much he does to help you out and do things around the house, but think of it this way. If he was the one working your schedule and you worked his, what would you be doing after work? My guess is you would be getting the things done that Hans couldn't possibly have time to do on his schedule. If that isn't the case and Hans puts in as many hours at work as you do then the answer is to hire someone to clean the house and mow the lawn once a week. Crossing off those two time suckers will give you the extra time you need to do the other things on your list. And more importantly, give you peace of mind.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your idea, but I don't want to sell Hans short. Generally he comes to work with me and he leaves work with me. He also works his job from 9-5, and he's really the reason I have any time at all to go running. On the days he can go home to clean or cook he will. Sometimes that's once a week, sometimes it's once a month. We have thought about hiring someone to help, and that may be what we eventually do. I'm just really hesitant to spend the money.

      Delete