Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Losing Weight and Setting Goals

So, I've been thinking a bit about goals lately.  To be more specific, I've been thinking about weight-loss goals.  Everyone has weight-loss goals.  While some people's goals are to gain weight, most people, of course, want to lose weight.  Shows like The Biggest Loser show regular men and women dropping weight like there's no tomorrow.  There are numerous books, videos, CDs, and podcasts out there to promote weight loss.  What I, however, have been asking myself is Is weight loss a good goal? 

I don't mean to imply that people shouldn't try to lose weight.  Over 50% of Americans are obese, so, yes, people should try to lose weight.  What I'm saying, though, is that people should maybe set their goals as something related to weight loss and fitness, rather than focusing so much on a number. 

This will be extremely important as you hit plateaus in your weight loss.  For instance, I want to lose 20 pounds.  More than that I want to wear (and look great in) a bikini.  Neither one of those, however, is my real goal.  They're both just going to be results from my true goals.  Here's the thing, I don't want to be some wispy, weak woman.  I want to be strong and fit.  I want to look healthy. 

So what is my goal?  This is where it's important to be realistic too.  I have multiple goals, but they're all broken down into small, attainable pieces.  You know, stepping stones.  Right now, my goal is to simply run a 5k.  Seeing as I've never been a runner, this is a big deal for me.  I'm currently up to about a mile and am improving every day.  After the 5k I may shoot for a 10k.  After that, I'll see where life takes me.

The point is, all my goals are set on fitness, not on weight loss.  Yes, I'm happy when I see a lower number on the scale, but I'm much happier when I can run an extra block.  That extra block tells me that, while my body may not show a lower number on the scale, it is stronger, healthier, fitter.  And THAT, my friends, is what my weight-loss journey is all about..

No comments:

Post a Comment